MG ZR Forums banner

Poorly ZR td

5K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  gav23welsh 
#1 ·
Hi all,

My girlfriend has a MG ZR TD, 2003, she is ready to scrap the car but it deserves one last chance and be ideal back and fore work for me.

It was all fine till she ran out of fuel. Had loads of problems getting it started, even with priming and cracking off the injector. Battery came off several times to charge. This broke off the battery earth strap. Engine management came on.

Car been left for a while parked up.

Friday night filled it up with fuel - £20 worth, temporary fixed the battery earth, and got it going once with an hour attempts, think it was due to bad earth I temporary fixed. Not had it going since. Then fuel filter air release bolt snapped off so had to change the fuel filter. So ive fitted a new battery, new fuel filter. Fitted a new battery earth connection. Now car is cracking over like a weak battery, battery checked and fine. Put on jump leads from a running vehicle and still the same, car cracking over like a weak/dead battery.

Any suggestions?

Also put on several obd2 readers and its not picking up any errors?

See less See more
#4 ·
Check the wire for injector no1 also check the injector leak off pipes.

Reactions: Lloydus
#6 ·
Wire often gets damaged and the leak off pipes can perish over time.

#7 ·
if you slacken off one injector union, pump priming bulb until fuel appears, then do up the union, this may bleed the air out and repeat for the other 3 injectors until all are done. Prime the pump again and see if the car starts first time. There may be a large puff of black smoke, but don't worry.

#12 ·
I changed my fuel filter about 3 months ago, and mixed the input and output pipes up in a nutshell I connected the pipes the wrong way around when I was rushing. the car did start but eventually. Check youve got the direction flow right, there should be an arrow on top of the filter. I had to bleed the fuel filter to, when I undid the bleed screw there was loads of pressure in the bulb, and I just pumped the bulb until the bubbles cleared and did the screw back up and the car ran great afterwards. Don't forget to have a cloth ready to soak up the little diesel that escapes out of the bleed screw mate

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.