mgzr 1.4 auto conversion - theMGZR.co.uk :: MG ZR forum
Go Back   theMGZR.co.uk :: MG ZR forum > Modding and Help > Engines, Exhausts,Gearbox,Tuning,Induction,Cooling
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22-08-2020, 09:55   #1 (permalink)
*Newbie* Handle with care

Drives: mgzr 1.4
1 Images (1)

animalwildchild is on a distinguished road
mgzr 1.4 auto conversion

My wife has had an MGZR mk1 since 2008 it was a 2002 model running an r65 gearbox, she doesnt want to lose her car but it is getting difficult for her to drive, would the 1.6 auto gearbox and attachements (flywheel, autoclutch)fit on the 1.4 engine
animalwildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 22-08-2020, 18:45   #2 (permalink)

Man in the Car will become famous soon enoughMan in the Car will become famous soon enough
They would physically fit to the 1.4 (although I think it is a bit more than just fitting the Stepspeed box and its directly associated parts ).

However, the Stepspeed gearbox does sap a lot of power, and I think she would find the ZR very sluggish if you kept the 1.4/105.

Perhaps better to swap the entire engine and gearbox for one from a ZR Stepspeed (if you can find one - they only built a few hundred!). The ZR Stepspeed was a 1.8/120, but the CVT transmission dragged the performance of the 1.8 engined ZR down to little better than the 1.4.

It may be worth keeping your eye out for a ZR 120 Stepspeed - a lot simpler than doing the conversion.
Man in the Car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 20:12   #3 (permalink)
 JOHNDQ

Drives: Evo 7 RS Sprint 2.0
JOHNDQ is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man in the Car View Post
They would physically fit to the 1.4 (although I think it is a bit more than just fitting the Stepspeed box and its directly associated parts ).

However, the Stepspeed gearbox does sap a lot of power, and I think she would find the ZR very sluggish if you kept the 1.4/105.

Perhaps better to swap the entire engine and gearbox for one from a ZR Stepspeed (if you can find one - they only built a few hundred!). The ZR Stepspeed was a 1.8/120, but the CVT transmission dragged the performance of the 1.8 engined ZR down to little better than the 1.4.

It may be worth keeping your eye out for a ZR 120 Stepspeed - a lot simpler than doing the conversion.
Definitely better off looking for a complete car
JOHNDQ is offline   Reply With Quote