Problems i had with my 2 new ZR's 54 plates - theMGZR.co.uk :: MG ZR forum
Go Back   theMGZR.co.uk :: MG ZR forum > Modding and Help > Problems and Miscellaneous (Sponsored by Parts Gateway)
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2004, 01:38   #1 (permalink)
*Newbie* Handle with care

duckmoo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to duckmoo
Problems i had with my 2 new ZR's 54 plates

First car ZR 105 firefrost red 54 plate

Second day the electric window on passenger side froze wouldnt open. ALso notice that me bumper extentions where not stuck on properly, had peeled away so looks a bit pooh close up.

Third day (early hours) car vandalised dent to front wing.

Fifth day door seal went on drivers side leaving me no means of escape had to clamber over the passenger seat and out, loads of fun.

By the seventh day, rain, putting the washers on intermitend and the started to hear a clunking sound from the boot as if it was open and was banging, yet no light for boot open was on?

By day nine car part exchanged.

Car number two Black ZR 2.0 Tdi 54 plate

First few weeks no problems was too excited about how fast the car seemed uwww diesel.

Not so many problems with this one.

Front wing mirror kicked off by a gang of drunk children who scarpered when i went outside. Evil. Was alittle rude to the police who told me i live in a nice area, upon which i replied thats not an excuse not to patrol every once in while. Got a nice letter telling me crime unsolved and a leaflet on advice on how to keep my car safe. If only we were aloud to defend our property with a base ball bat, but i spose that is alittle extreme but then again im a poor student who cant afford such repairs before christmas, totaly 750 in vandalism. No plans from the police for any sort of vehicle watch tho if i speed im sure theyll come down on my like a ton of bricks. But i wont winj about the police too much im sure they have a difficult job.

Whilst driving along with my young nephew in the car he 5 years old. The gear knob came off in my hand nearly causing me to loose control and crash. Me wasnt impressed and told the garage so, tho dont think they listened as if i had crash i would of sued them cause for a car a month old you dont expect the gear know to come off in your hand.

Driver window began to stick wouldnt go all the way up first time you pressed the button, got told it just needed oiling.

All in all not too convinced about MG's servicing tho they were fast and efficient and everything was dont under warranty you really dont expect these sort of problems to go wrong with these cars. Especially as there brand new. And some of these problems are existing ones from the previous car you think they would rectify them? MAybe its all cost effective? Who knows? If i had crashed my car when my gear knob came off mind MG would be in pooh cause i would of caused such a stink about it cause your health is paramount, it bad enough other roads users wanting to run you off the road with out the car wanting to do it aswell.

It is a barrel of laughs to drive and i like the handling but im sorry to say ill never buy another MG again. But on a plus point there are some wicked deals to be had on these cars.

Sorry if all this long winded but i feel better
duckmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2004, 01:42   #2 (permalink)
 kabash
Sick puppy!

kabash is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to kabash Send a message via Yahoo to kabash
sorry.to.hear

RIP PROOF aka DeShaun Holton...D12 (1973-2006)
kabash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 08:45   #3 (permalink)

yellow-peril is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to yellow-peril Send a message via Skype™ to yellow-peril
bad chain of events there mate , hope thats the end of it and you can actually enjoy the car a bit now
:up:
yellow-peril is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-12-2004, 11:22   #4 (permalink)
 Jon_ZR

Jon_ZR is on a distinguished road
Unlucky problems there mate,i had the noise in the boot took it back and they fitted a suppresser something to do with a spike in the electronics?
Regards to the gear knob problem had that come off in my hand doing 70 down a dualtrack while slowing down for a bend,not best pleased i can tell you.
Jon_ZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 12:07   #5 (permalink)

TechnoGoat is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to TechnoGoat
My gear knob fell off about 2 minutes after I picked up my ZR from the dealers... Was doing 60mph at the time.. Just pushed it back on.. Never happened again.

My bumper extensions are on very cheaply, and there is a small gap between them and the acutal bumper.

Drivers window has always been dodgy, and you have to push the button a few times to get it going (and while you do all the clock light etc. goes dim)... And it wrattles at high speeds

My car was scratched on the boot, and roof, with abuse written on the spoiler by kids... Police didn't care..

Looks like the 54 ZR problems are quite common :P :wallb:
TechnoGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 12:17   #6 (permalink)

TrickyMG is on a distinguished road
by the sounds of it I think I' mglad mine is an'04 plate!! :blink2:

I've had it (from new) since late July, haven't noticed any problems apart from the passenger window drops slightly every week or so and I do mean slightly

Are these 54's the new facelift version then? If so perhaps they rushed the final stages to try and get it on the market quicker?
TrickyMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 13:36   #7 (permalink)

XPCobra is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to XPCobra
if the police didnt care to any of these problems could u not report that so something like watchdog and cause a big stink about it???
XPCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 15:31   #8 (permalink)

Threadstarter
It s an interesting idea only problem it might make it worse kids thinking there famous causing all the damage. Yep 54's are the face lifted ones tho i have seen one or two older ones, had an older one as a courtesy car but didnt feel very safe.
Old 07-12-2004, 15:34   #9 (permalink)

Threadstarter
jon_ZR they said the boot was the supressor thing but it happened on both my cars. Getting a punto sporting next it cheap at just over 8000 so ive found and better spec'd