Fitting BRM parts to my ZR - Today, speaker grills - theMGZR.co.uk :: MG ZR forum
Go Back   theMGZR.co.uk :: MG ZR forum > Modding and Help > Interior and Exterior Styling
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2009, 16:44   #1 (permalink)
 Shire
Alergic to the apex

Drives: Mk1 ZR (1600)
Shire is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Shire
Fitting BRM parts to my ZR - Today, speaker grills

Well I picked up the sexy alloy bits from a BRM to fit into my ZR from SamP a couple of weeks ago and today I got the ball rolling

I swapped the horrible standard speaker grills today for the BRM alloy jobbies which are so much better:

This job was more of a bitch than I thought it would be. The tweeters had to have new brackets made up from the Rover 200 parts I had but the speaker grills just needed a few holes drilling into the door card to mount them

Here are the other parts that will be going in when I have time:

For those not tin the know:

Gear gaitor clamp thing (sits under the console)
Alloy gear gaitor surround
Alloy heater knobs
Alloy gear gaiter clamp
Alu Dial surrond
Alu electric window switch

I also have the center console but I have removed the red leather parts from them. I'm not sure if it is possible to dye them black but I'll read more into it and possibly give it a try

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2009, 17:21   #2 (permalink)

Drives: 03 MG ZR 160
Stev160 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
My Garage
Send a message via MSN to Stev160
You have beaten me to fitting the BRM speaker bits lol! Cant wait to get mine in, looks great.

I did test fit the tweeter and found it to sit in quite deep into the door card, how do you mean new brackets needed to be made for them? Step by step guide would be appreciated.

I have tried another way to secureing them in place but need longer screws (but the same thread) that originally comes with the tweeter.
Old 04-05-2009, 18:19   #3 (permalink)
 Shire
Alergic to the apex

Threadstarter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stev160 View Post
You have beaten me to fitting the BRM speaker bits lol! Cant wait to get mine in, looks great.

I did test fit the tweeter and found it to sit in quite deep into the door card, how do you mean new brackets needed to be made for them? Step by step guide would be appreciated.

I have tried another way to secureing them in place but need longer screws (but the same thread) that originally comes with the tweeter.
Its quite difficult to explain but I'll try.

Because the BRM tweeters do not have the clips that hold them into the door card, nor the clips that hold the tweeter onto them like the original plastic ones do, you'll need to use part of the Rover 200 doorhandle/tweeter surround and glue that on the reverse of the doorcard (thats what I did anyway)

You can then use longer screws to connect the tweeter covers (outside of the door card) to the piece of plastic you just butchered from the Rover 200 doorhandle/tweeter surround (on the inside of the doorcard) this will hold them in place. If you have the tweeters you'll appreciate how tiny those two screws are and you might have trouble getting some longer ones to fit in there but its worth a try.

For now I have glued the tweeter covers to the doorcard and I'll see how well that works. If they fall off I'll fabricate some metal brackets to hold them on better

Old 04-05-2009, 18:20   #4 (permalink)
 Shire
Alergic to the apex

Threadstarter
This is the stuff I'm going to use to dye the red BRM leather to black:

http://www.furnitureclinic.co.uk/Lea...ourant_Kit.htm

Video of the process:

http://www.furnitureclinic.co.uk/Aston_Martin_Video.htm
Old 04-05-2009, 19:28   #5 (permalink)

Drives: 03 MG ZR 160
Stev160 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
My Garage
Send a message via MSN to Stev160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shire View Post
Its quite difficult to explain but I'll try.

Because the BRM tweeters do not have the clips that hold them into the door card, nor the clips that hold the tweeter onto them like the original plastic ones do, you'll need to use part of the Rover 200 doorhandle/tweeter surround and glue that on the reverse of the doorcard (thats what I did anyway)

You can then use longer screws to connect the tweeter covers (outside of the door card) to the piece of plastic you just butchered from the Rover 200 doorhandle/tweeter surround (on the inside of the doorcard) this will hold them in place. If you have the tweeters you'll appreciate how tiny those two screws are and you might have trouble getting some longer ones to fit in there but its worth a try.

For now I have glued the tweeter covers to the doorcard and I'll see how well that works. If they fall off I'll fabricate some metal brackets to hold them on better
Thanks Shire! Those screws are tiny but ones that are maybe twice as long would work a treat.

The option I came up with (have pictures and can upload if you like or PM you) is:

Use the OE tweeter surround but drill a 25mm hole through it but not going in two deep to ruin the holding clips!

Then drill two tiny holes for the brm screws to go through and then go through the brm tweeter!

But thats the problem the screws are not long enough to go through the two new holes and through the Tweeter!

Screwfix, b&q dont do anything like them, so next alternative is go to a watchmakers lol, they could be glued down I guess but they sit two deep to show any effect on the door card, and also the 'mould' of the door card around the tweeter bit has a small cut out which is hard to hide by the tweeter if you see what I mean? Let me know if you want pictures of what i mean about hole'sawing the OE tweeter surrounds.

p.s with the speaker surrounds did you use the thin metal surround also which sits behind the door card? thanks
Old 28-03-2010, 20:14   #6 (permalink)

Drives: Mirage mk1 ZR160
Silverfox will become famous soon enoughSilverfox will become famous soon enough
My Garage
Send a message via MSN to Silverfox
Aha I found it! Useful stuff
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ordog View Post
In the guides section
Old 28-03-2010, 21:29   #7 (permalink)

Drives: mk 1 105
6 Images (6)

dj-p-chappers is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stev160 View Post

+1 I fitted the speaker ones but yet to do the tweeter ones.
Old 28-03-2010, 22:05   #8 (permalink)
 Shire
Alergic to the apex

Threadstarter
Haha that was a while back, I never fitted the rest of the bits. I sold them to Chris ZR160
Old 29-03-2010, 09:29   #9 (permalink)
 JamesD

Crab Volleyball Champion! Donkey Rocket Champion! TIE Fighter Shooter Champion!
Drives: Mk1 Express 160
JamesD is on a distinguished road
My Garage
To fit the tweeter covers in mine, I unscrewed the covers from the R200 door handle and got a thin piece of metal (the blanking plate for a PCI slot in a PC case) cut it in half and drilled a hole in each end of it. Then placed the cover in the door card and screwed each half of the metal plate to the back of the BRM tweeter surround with a washer and the screws which originally held it on to the R200 handle.

This prob isn***8217;t a good description and needs pictures so the next time I have the door car off I shall get pictures.

Pchappers I did post a similar reply to your thread, did you get it?