Go Back   theMGZR.co.uk :: MG ZR forum > Modding and Help > Electricals
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18-07-2015, 18:20   #1 (permalink)
*Newbie* Handle with care

Drives: mk2 ZR 105
MurrayZR is on a distinguished road
Removing door card

The passengers side window won't go up or down, it's currently been pushed manually fully up so is essentially closed, when pressing the button to move it down, it knocks quite loudly and judders/shakes... I'm assuming it's the motor? If it is, the door card would need to come off, so how would I do this?

P.s. The drivers side door must have had the door card off at somepoint before I had it as sometimes it catches on the frame when opening and I can't seem to fix it (pins may have broken) I don't want this to happen on the other door lol

Please help, thanks
MurrayZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 19-07-2015, 23:30   #2 (permalink)

Man in the Car will become famous soon enoughMan in the Car will become famous soon enough
Sounds a bit as though the teeth on either the motor or the actuator may have worn or broken?

There is a screw at the hinge end of the card (which you will see easily, and 3 or 4 screws in recessed holes along the bottom of the door pocket/bin. Remove all these.

You will need to remove the door pull handle - very carefully prise out the door pull insert - there is a lug at the top, one at the bottom, and one in the middle (which is prone to breaking off if not removed with care). There are then 3 screws holding the handle to the bracket behind the doorcard.

You also need to remove the rurround from around/behind the interior door release handle - again use a bit of car to avoid snapping the lugs off the insert. Once the insert is released the rest of the surround will unclip fairly easily.

The doorcard is then held to the door by plastic trim clips - you will need to prise the bottom corner of the doorcard away to get your fingers in and give the card a good tug to pull the clips out - it is inevitable that some will break so I would recommend getting a handful of spares before you start (MG Rover/XPart part number is EYC101570 - but there are cheaper alternatives to these genuine MGR ones). I would suspect that the reason your drivers doorcard is misaligned and catches is because some of the clips are broken.

The doorcard then pulls out and up to remove (the door locking pin will pull through the black plastic escutcheon, but you will find it easier to remove it and force it over the pin after refitting the doorcard).

Refitting is the reverse except that getting the top of the doorcard back over the seam along the door top can be a bit of a pain, but on the upside, the door pull insert and interior release handle surround which have to be removed with geat care, will simply snap back into place easily.

Hope it all goes well for you
Man in the Car is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Man in the Car For This Useful Post:
MurrayZR (20-07-2015)
Old 20-07-2015, 12:42   #3 (permalink)

Threadstarter
Thanks, I'll try that, I tried putting the window down yesterday and instead of the knocking and rattling that it used to do, now just whines as if the glass isn't connected to the motor or something.

Could you please put a link to where I can buy these clips incase I but the wrong ones haha.

If it is the teeth which have worn out, do I still need to buy a new motor? And how will I be able to tell what the fault is, thanks

Old 31-08-2015, 13:24   #4 (permalink)

Threadstarter
Update

It goes up and down totally fine, but it starts to judder/shake and not go up any further for the last 2cm, anyone have any ideas?