Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16-06-2015, 12:28   #1 (permalink)
*Newbie* Handle with care

Drives: Mk1 ZR 160
Nigel Gibbins is on a distinguished road
Engine randomly cuts out ... help!

Hi,
I'll explain as much as I can and hopefully someone can give me some pointers.

The Aerial plug (in back of radio) had broken .. so I replaced it and since then, every now and again while driving the engine will simply cut out for a brief second. The radio cuts out, the dash lights come on but the car carries on as normal.

Checked under the bonnet and the coolant reservour was empty, refilled it and burped the system, everything seemed fine for a while.

While on the motorway yesterday, the engine cut again but only cam eback on 2 cylinders. Stopped on the hard shoulder, the engine died. restarted straight away and it ran fine for 20 more miles. Then cut again, and ran on 2 cylinders, I dipped the clutch, let the engine die, restarted and it was fine for the rest of the day.

Today, while driving to work, it all started again but much more regularly (every 200 metres or so) in slower traffic. I'm pretty sure theres a loose wire/connection somewhere as the first cut out was on a speed bump. I don't have my wiring diagram with me here (haynes) but will investigate tonight. When the engine cuts, the temp gauge goes off the top of the scale, but this is an erroneous reading. It comes straight back when restarted.

There are currently no engine warning lights or anything of that sort, but I will put my ODB 2 on it tonight.

I had the bonnet open this morning on the road side, no sign of HGF, reservoir still full but can smell coolant - no sign of leaks. Wiggled every connecetion I could find (engine running) ... no joy. I also pulled the head unit out and checked wires ... still no joy.

Car had a completed engine service (belts, fluids, plugs etc ... less than 10,000 miles ago (62k on the clock now)... has been spot on until this.

Aplologies for the long post but I;m trying to be a complete as I can ... :s

Last edited by Nigel Gibbins; 16-06-2015 at 12:43.
Nigel Gibbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 18-06-2015, 13:49   #2 (permalink)
*Newbie* Handle with care

Drives: Mk1 ZR 160
Threadstarter
Nigel Gibbins is on a distinguished road
Follow up ...

Ok .. so no suggestions from here, but I have been going over the car myself.

Oil was very low ... (not registering on dipstick) so put 1.5 litres in. Engine ran much better but cut out issue still evident on 20 mile drive (cut out 3 times). Noticed the dash clocks go dead (read no speed or revs) just after a cut out. This is the same time the temp gauge reads maximum.

So today I went around the engine bay and jiggled all the connectors again and discovered if I 'shook' the battery the engine died ... traced to the small earth to body near the battery. Cleaned it up and re-seated it, the battery wiggle will not stall the engine now.

Just need to drive it for a few miles now and convince myself that its fixed.
Nigel Gibbins is offline   Reply With Quote