First timer... buying Sports Bike - Page 3 - theMGZR.co.uk :: MG ZR forum
Go Back   theMGZR.co.uk :: MG ZR forum > Other Model/Vehicle Discussion > Motorbike chat
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14-06-2011, 22:27   #21 (permalink)
 rozzr

Threadstarter
rozzr will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to rozzr Send a message via Skype™ to rozzr
hey man,

thanks a lot for your posts. gona take a look at the honda... definitely would want one that is easier to ride and punishes you as little as possible for mistakes.

don't know if i'm crazy considering a bike though and should just buy an exotic supercar or something instead... really don't wanna fall off haha, too much of a pussy to get hurt

those big 1ltr sportsbikes must be insane to ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailey87 View Post
roz1! you biking brah?

People will tell you to get the most powerful, hardest bike you can afford. I would only do that if i felt a desperate need to splatter myself over the first dry stone wall i came across....

There is nothing wrong with buying a sports bike as your first bike imo, but a gixxer 750 is pushing it a bit. It's not the power that will catch you out, any clown can twist their wrist and rocket into the distance from a roll. My worry is a gixxer will tankslap like a b*tch if it doesn't have a serious steering damper and the torque of a 750 is epic. The front wheel will come up or spin and you're off.

Riding a bike is a massive learning curve mate, even after you've sat your test on a 500 or whatever, a 600cc inline-4 is a huge step up.

My 600 is not that sporty as far as 600s go, more a "hot-hatch" of bikes but it will still hit 60 in 3.5s, 100 in 7s and crack the 1/4 in a little over 11s.... it's very nearly killed me a few times due to my own inexperience and it's nowhere near as twitchy as a gixxer.

If you have to have a new sports bike with an image then for a n00b rider you can't get much better than a honda CBR600RR with ABS. A cracking bike with more power than a 600 GSXR and it won't bite quite as hard if you do something stupid. VV

Buy some crash mushrooms too. no matter how much of a natural you are you're going to hit the ground hard sometime so you might as well protect the paintwork!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dailey87 View Post
A 911 turbo is faster all out (with the exception of the new zx10-r and the bmw s1000rr perhapse) than any bike in a max speed drag race kind of thing.

The GSXR is the more twichy of the two but also the quickest on a track (only just). A zx-6r is more powerful and faster on the road. Other than that it's which one you like most. However, suzukis are the least reliable of jap bikes, the finish is crap and they will rust in a bit of wet. Kawks are bullet proof.
Advertisement

Old 14-06-2011, 22:44   #22 (permalink)

Drives: TFR, R33 Skyline
Adam-MGTF will become famous soon enough
I'm doing my test at the minuet mate but i've been into bikes all my life (my dads allways had them, atm he rides a CB500 as his daily bike (he has a car but its a toy - Capri 2.8i) and his toy bike is a min condition low milage Ducati 998S

first of all, learn to ride

you wont be able to learn on something like a Gixxer 600/750... you just wont, and passing your test (especially your mod1) will be very difficult

talk to some bikers in your area (try bike forums) and find a good school

the one im using is great, 115 quid for my CBT then 550 gets me a garuenteed test pass

so they keep giving you lessons till your test ready, they want you to pass (so they can boast of a 95% first time pass rate etc) so will happily give you all the time you have on a bike so you will pass both Mod1 and 2 first time

get your CBT done ASAP so you can book your theory, waiting lists for theory and both tests are very bad atm so that is what will hold you up

use there bikes to lean, most schools have 600 bandits, CB500s, or karasaki ER5s (all btw very good first budget bikes, can be had for as little as 950 quid and will be a good learning tool, im shopping for a bandit atm)

these bikes are VERY easy to ride and pass your test on, and IF you do drop one (especially easy when walking one as you have to do on your mod 1 if your not used to a heavy bike) then it doesnt matter

once you pass then decide what you fancy buying

with no full bike licence you cant test ride bikes and you may end up buyign something you absolutly hate

for example... i had my heart set of a SV650 gladius for my first bike, my mates got a lightly modded one and i think it looks fantastic

my school has one they just bought for a trainer and i HATE it... the vTwin is very notchy at low speeds, and the power comes in all wrong for how i like to ride

so pass and then hit the dealers and test ride everything in your budget! (this will be such a chore i know)

now as for your... should i buy a 600, 750, or even 1000cc superbike

well it greatly depends on age

in a recent test in the mcn, they said that the latest generation 600s are as fast as 1000s were just 5 years ago, so again test ride!

personally i reckon superbikes are a bit pointless on the road... a 600 monster or a speed tripple is still going to be massivly quicker than any car

which brings me onto... your porche... i LOVE 911s, ive drove a few and was lucky enough to take a 911 GT2 car (full race car, not a road legal one) round the paul ricard circuit last year

and a 10 year old bandit with 600cc still 'feels' quicker and i bet a 600cc Gixxer would eat it for breckfast on the roads, bikes are a different animal and will give you an adrenaline shot to end all highs

and lastly... the most important thing you will buy in yout biking life is your skid lid... buy the very best you can afford and if you drop it (even from 6inches - bin it! as someone said earlier, you can buy a new lid but they dont sell replacment heads lol)

same with leathers, get something good and comfortable and a good set of gloves... try a few different pairs... boots again are very important, you can happily skid to a stop from 180mph and walk away, at 60 mph it wont matter if you hit anything if you fall off with no leathers on as the tarmac will grind your skin, mucel and bone away long before you stop

on that happy note! welcome to the club lol
Old 14-06-2011, 23:22   #23 (permalink)

leigh-roy is on a distinguished road
A few wise words in here already for you to consider mate. I've worked for bike dealerships and ridden a lot of the bikes mentioned in this thread. My advice would be as others have stated, pass your test first then buy something which you like the look and feel of - forget performance stats because it'll make no difference to you on the road especially as an inexperienced rider.

I appreciate how quick your car is but there are other things to consider with a bike, for instance you won't be able to corner as fast and the braking distances will be much greater - basic but crucial things which you'll pick up with experience but they will be amplified by faster bikes and thus more likely to cause you a problem.

The other alternative if you're after outright thrills is to buy a trackbike... no risk to your licence and safety is much improved. Within your budget you could do a couple of lessons (full days) at something like superbike school or the Ron haslam academy, buy a prepared bike, kit and do a summer of track days...
leigh-roy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 14-06-2011, 23:45   #24 (permalink)
Dirty user

Yetisports StageDive Champion!
andylew0 has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by rozzr View Post

I think that would surprise me, top end of course the turbo will be quicker - being as it can hit around 200mph - not that you would really want to do that on a bike lol.

But 1/4mile times and most importantly 60-130 times should be pretty similar - perhaps a bit in the favour of the bike but not a lot with the 600, the 750 (and definitely a 1000 of course) should be starting to pull away though. However, I bet it will feel waay faster on the bike - just with being so much more exposed and not sitting in a cabin, which is the main reason I want to go for one rather than putting the money into my car (big turbos, etc).
mmm i'd like to see a race

A good start would be a CBR 600 pure sex wee imo, dailey the Gixxer comes with a steering dampner.

If you want 200 MPH territory, get what me old mans just bought.

andylew0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2011, 18:35   #25 (permalink)
 oz1986

Drives: MG ZR 160 VVC
oz1986 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by andylew0 View Post
mmm i'd like to see a race

A good start would be a CBR 600 pure sex wee imo, dailey the Gixxer comes with a steering dampner.

If you want 200 MPH territory, get what me old mans just bought.

from 2001 onwards if i recall. this is a zx 1400? lol beast.

alot of people given great advice in here. 600 bandit as mentioned would be a great bike to start off if you thow it down the road then its cheap to fix. a bike with faring is more expensive to fix as the faring costs a fortune. As mentioned before lids get a good un Shoei xr1000 is good for the money. different makes fit different shapes of heads e.g. i cant get an arai to fit comfy but the shoei is snug
Old 15-06-2011, 18:55   #26 (permalink)

Drives: MK1 zr 105 XPG
Sparky-MG-ZR is on a distinguished road
My Garage
i will be getting a bandit 600 for my first bike but ive heard there shocking for handling and ride crap? i just want it for the "street" look lol
Sparky-MG-ZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2011, 16:17   #27 (permalink)
 Thomas

Thomas is on a distinguished road
Get a zzr 1400. Would rip your porsche to bits im afraid.

At the end of the day cars are fast but bikes just are loonatic machines. My dad had a deristricted zzr 1100 and that thing was stupidly fast.

Good luck matey with whatever you decide to do. I have just done my cbt and theory test so have 2 years before i have to do my test
Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2011, 17:04   #28 (permalink)
 rozzr

Threadstarter
rozzr will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to rozzr Send a message via Skype™ to rozzr
Thanks so much for all the info, I have been really looking into it these past couple of days and you guys have been gurus on this.

I have decided I am not going to get one, first of all I am a bit too much of a pussy to wanna go out riding and be so scared of getting killed/injured, and as a result of that, the whole effort of putting on so much gear to be safe - helmets, clothing, armour, etc - would just ruin the experience for me as I just wanted to go quick and feel unrestricted - like see its a sunny afternoon and just jump on my bike and ride to some country pub to meet friends for a drink or something.
So as a result I think I would rather be sitting in a car, wearing shorts and a tee, put the roof down and have similar performance - all whilst listening to my favourite songs haha. So gonna use the money and keep on saving til I can afford my dream car instead.

So not a new biker here, but again thanks for all the info and detailed messages, it was really helpful and you showed me just how crazy some of these machines are for sure! I would love to try racing some in my turbo!
Old 16-06-2011, 17:20   #29 (permalink)
 Thomas

Thomas is on a distinguished road
I honestly think you've made the right desiscion mate. I'm a bit of scardy cat when it comes to bikes aswell hence not doing the test as of yet. If you want thrills get a caterham maybe.
Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2011, 20:24   #30 (permalink)

1 Images (1)

JamieZR04 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
I honestly think you've made the right desiscion mate. I'm a bit of scardy cat when it comes to bikes aswell hence not doing the test as of yet. If you want thrills get a caterham maybe.
+1 on the right decision

what's your dream car? lol
JamieZR04 is offline   Reply With Quote