MG ZR Forums banner

Advice when buying a ZR

2K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  T18_MPA 
#1 ·
Hi all,

Brand new to this forum.

My first car was a 2.5 V6 Ford Probe, as was my last. Due to this and my heavy right foot I now have a licence thats got more points on it than Sir Alan Sugars nectar card.

I've been searching for a solid, newish car which I wont have to sell my grannys soul to insure.

After much deliberation I have come to a decision and I'm looking to purchase an early ZR in red/black with lowish miles in good condition.

It's a decent looking motor with everything on it that a young guy could want like alloys, spoiler, twin lights etc and it's got a lot of potential as a base for my latest project.

I'll be using this car as a daily runaround which I'll be modifying slowly until I eventually fit a 2.0 turbo to it once the first lot of points come off.

I'm looking for advice on what to look out for when buying a ZR and any issues that other people on this forum have come across when buying theirs?

I have a budget of about £1500 to buy the car which judging by the ones I've seen advertised on Ebay and Autotrader seems to be quite adequate.

I don't believe in buying a car that has already been modified by someone else as the way I see it you just end up buying someone elses problems and I'd rather put my own stamp on it (then sell it to some other unsuspecting boy racer).

I have a good knowledge of cars so I don't need Stepdad advice just ZR specific stuff that you wish you knew when you bought your own cars.

Make sense?

See less See more
#7 ·
yeah unless you find a sprayed white one :) and the one you found is on pistonheads yeah?

#9 ·
check coolant tank and oil cap for any ****.. check for normal rust etc, check the rear wiper works and is spraying, check boot for any damp/ puddling marks (may be a leak somewhere)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.