160 VVC Engine Conversions - theMGZR.co.uk :: MG ZR forum
Go Back   theMGZR.co.uk :: MG ZR forum > General > MG-R FAQs
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14-10-2010, 11:43   #1 (permalink)
300bhp+ crew

rakester is a jewel in the roughrakester is a jewel in the roughrakester is a jewel in the rough
160 VVC Engine Conversions

The following is courtesy of 'JamesD'

Intro

To be honest I didn't really have many problems converting to a VVC.
I think the biggest problem was my Speedo but that was because my car doesn't have ABS if you have ABS then it should all be ok. If not a loom is easy made to get the speedo working.

Problems / Things To Be Aware Of

- I came across small things like the clearance on a standard 160 exhaust on the front cross member of the 105 you need the cross member from the 160 or a janspeed manifold.

- Also the cat bracket is different on the 160 and so is the cat so the 105 bracket doesn't line up with the hangers on the 160 cat, but the hangers are easily swapped. Also because the cat is in a different place the wire on the 105 lamda sensor isnít long enough to reach the sensor hole on the standard 160 cat. (Thatís the second sensor under the car not the one on the manifold).

- The clutch cables are different and it was fiddly to change.

- The battery cables are actually a different length too but the 105 ones are longer since the starter motor is on the bottom of the gear box on a 105 and so they fit the VVC engine and are just the same thickness so not a problem.
The mount on the bottom of the sump is shorter on the 105 compared to the 160 but if you get the engine and gearbox complete I would assume the mount on the sump will be on it.

Main Info

- Engine mounts are the same on the driver side so no problems there.

- The passenger side engine mount is different due to it being a PG1 gearbox. The part of the mount thatís on the chassis leg is the same but the part on the gearbox is different. Again if the engine and gearbox is complete I would assume that would all be on the engine.

- I already had air con on the 105 so I had a 1.8 radiator but if you donít have air con you may have the smaller rad so the 1.8 one would be advised. Also because I had air con and full electrics I had the larger alternator the 85amp one. I donít think it would make much difference if you had the smaller alt though. (I think 1.4 alts are 75amp, not sure though)
Those really werenít problems more differences which between the two cars if you get a complete engine and gearbox with wiring loom it should be plug and play really. The engine wiring loom is different for a VVC as it has extra sensors for the VVC mechs.

- You also need the matching ECU, alarm control unit and key fob, unless you get the new ECU paired to your alarm control unit. That might be an easier option for you but there arenít many places round near me that could rematch the ECU for me.

-One last thing my 105 converted to a 160 never handled as well as Dads standard 160 although I didn't notice the handling worsening after I did the conversion and after reading through the Rave manual I found out the 160ís Have different springs compared to the 105ís.

Cheers
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rakester For This Useful Post:
ows.dixon (26-10-2012), ryry2810 (30-08-2012)
Closed Thread