Problems with my Focus (moved) - theMGZR.co.uk :: MG ZR forum
Go Back   theMGZR.co.uk :: MG ZR forum > Other Model/Vehicle Discussion > All other manufactures of vehicles
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2012, 23:24   #1 (permalink)
 Daz!

Tournaments Won: 1

Drives: Mk1 3L TwinTurbo
Daz! is on a distinguished road
My Garage
Problems with my Focus (moved)

Since the focus forum is like a ghost town, i thought i'd seek some advice on here since you guys were amazing when it came to solving problems with the MG

But anyways, just bought a mk2 56 reg focus 1.6 petrol and its been acting a bit wierd, it seems to judder for a split second every now and then when driving at steady speeds as if its losing power and suddenly getting it back.

Another problem that i had was when it was idling in a car park, it just died and refused to start up again. Eventually an hour or so later, i tried again and with a few revs it finally came back to life.

Im thinking it could maybe be the coil packs or spark plugs, opinions?

"You can tell a lot about a person by their car."
For example: if it's in a ditch, it's a woman.

Daz! is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2012, 23:34   #2 (permalink)

Drives: Mk1 SEAT LCR
hyphon12 is a jewel in the roughhyphon12 is a jewel in the roughhyphon12 is a jewel in the roughhyphon12 is a jewel in the rough
My Garage
Send a message via MSN to hyphon12
Hmm, Ritchy is most likely to know but it sounds like a similar problem some Mercs have which is cause by a dodgy/old fuel filter.

Work for Merc, Drive a VAG, Mod a ZR forum :/
hyphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 23:34   #3 (permalink)
 DRZR04

Drives: mk2 ZR 105
DRZR04 is on a distinguished road
forcus forum good luck with that!! i tryed and got no where!!

had pretty much same as uve got!
turned out after much confusion was a bad earth! clean the contacts up and touch wood havent had a problem since!

hope this helps!
DRZR04 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2012, 00:15   #4 (permalink)
 Ritchy

Drives: zs 110 mk2
Ritchy has a spectacular aura aboutRitchy has a spectacular aura about
hey, ehh about 56 plate they where cracking for having the washer jets leaking(like the gasket between the bonnet and jet itself) and this leaked down filling up the spark plug valley with water, if you pull the plug leads out youd see this straight away, this would also cause the coil pack to act up sometimes, 56 should just have a single block coilpack that does all 4 cylinders
there where updated jets but i think you would be able to seal them up, although i doubt the jets are that much, they will ask you if they are heated or not, if they are theyll have a multiplug on them
failing that worthwhile getting the faults scanned see if there is anything pending, i shall ask the mastertech tomorrow if he has any other ideas as well, but mainly misfires ect it tends to be that
worthwhile checking i it is full of water if it is actually water , or if its antifreeze, as there are 2 core plugs in there that can also rust and seen the odd one leak

only otherthing i can think of this late at night is possible a dud reading from the ECT sensor(engine coolant temp sensor), but that would show on the dash with the needle not moving, ive seen a lot of the wiring harnesses at the ect sensor corrode, then break, its located at the right hand side of the cylinder head under some pipework

and thinking even more now, seen the odd inlet manifold gasket go brittle, and then cause a leak, but generally thats more of a constant fault although i suppose things getting hot ect could cause it, takes a wee bit of jeggery pokery to get the manifold off them, theres a couple of hidden bolts down the bottom of it
Ritchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 15:08   #5 (permalink)
 Daz!

Threadstarter
My Garage
The Ford dealers near me wants 100 for a Diagnostics check on it, they also need my car for a whole day.
Would you say thats a decent price?

Old 02-03-2012, 18:40   #6 (permalink)
 Ritchy

Drives: zs 110 mk2
Ritchy has a spectacular aura aboutRitchy has a spectacular aura about
nah, should be paying 1 yours labour which at my place is 72, check the basics first before taking it in there, if you pull a plug lead up youll instantly be able to tell if its full of water, provided youve worked out how to open the bonnet that is:P
Ritchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 01:32   #7 (permalink)
 Daz!

Threadstarter
My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchy View Post
nah, should be paying 1 yours labour which at my place is 72, check the basics first before taking it in there, if you pull a plug lead up youll instantly be able to tell if its full of water, provided youve worked out how to open the bonnet that is:P
Haha i must admit it took me a minute or two to find out how to get the bonet open