who uses paypal? urgent!!! - theMGZR.co.uk :: MG ZR forum
Go Back   theMGZR.co.uk :: MG ZR forum > General > General MG ZR Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28-11-2004, 17:16   #1 (permalink)

brettytopbanana is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to brettytopbanana Send a message via MSN to brettytopbanana
who uses paypal? urgent!!!

i had two emails yesterday claiming to be of paypal saying that a third party has been trying to access my accounts. now this email was just writing, no paypal logo just a link to the supposed paypal website. i didnt click on this link because i know that people make fake identical websites to make you enter your details. did anyone else have one of these?or has anyone had one?
i dont really know what to do now
help!!!
brettytopbanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 28-11-2004, 17:18   #2 (permalink)
 Hob
Official Member

92 Images (92)

Hob is on a distinguished road
report to paypal, on there site, do not do anything, email there spoof centre they will tell you the truth, close the browser, open a new one and go 2 www.paypal.com, do not click on an email link.
Old 28-11-2004, 17:19   #3 (permalink)

LCR-BABE is on a distinguished road
Re: who uses paypal? urgent!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettytopbanana
i had two emails yesterday claiming to be of paypal saying that a third party has been trying to access my accounts. now this email was just writing, no paypal logo just a link to the supposed paypal website. i didnt click on this link because i know that people make fake identical websites to make you enter your details. did anyone else have one of these?or has anyone had one?
i dont really know what to do now
help!!!
I use paypal, but havent had that as such.... :-k

Must say tho, be very careful, cos i know someone who once clicked or gave her password out....something dumb like that anyway...and ended up being about 1k out of pocket...

be careful tho

Old 28-11-2004, 17:19   #4 (permalink)

Threadstarter
Send a message via AIM to brettytopbanana Send a message via MSN to brettytopbanana
no i wont click on any link but i will try that thanks. im afraid to actually go to the real paypal site can anyone get me the email address that i should email to
Old 28-11-2004, 17:22   #5 (permalink)
 Zarolm
*Newbie* Handle with care

Zarolm is on a distinguished road
As long as you type the paypal site address in the address bar yourself you'll be fine going to their site. But never click any links and enter your details (be it paypal, bank or otherwise) - they can even spoof the address bar these days. So type it yourself!
Zarolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2004, 17:23   #6 (permalink)

Threadstarter
there was a warning the other day that if this virus installs itself on your computer then even if you type the address youself they can still get your details
Old 28-11-2004, 17:25   #7 (permalink)

yellow-peril is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to yellow-peril Send a message via Skype™ to yellow-peril
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettytopbanana
there was a warning the other day that if this virus installs itself on your computer then even if you type the address youself they can still get your details

mate forward it to this address then delete it do not alter it it stops them trying to trace it

[email protected]
yellow-peril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2004, 17:39   #8 (permalink)
 Hob
Official Member

92 Images (92)

Hob is on a distinguished road
Protect Yourself from Fraudulent Emails and Websites

At PayPal, protecting your account's security is our top priority. Recently, PayPal members have reported suspicious-looking emails and fake websites. These emails are not from PayPal and responding to them may put your account at risk. Please protect your PayPal account by paying close attention to the emails you receive and the websites you visit.

Please use the following tips to stay safe with PayPal:

* Safe Log In: To log in to your PayPal account or access the PayPal website, open a new web browser (e.g., Internet Explorer or Netscape) and type in the following: https://www.paypal.com/
* Greeting: Emails from PayPal will address you by your first and last name or the business name associated with your PayPal account. Fraudulent emails often include the salutation "Dear PayPal User" or "Dear PayPal Member".
* Email Attachments: PayPal emails will never ask you to download an attachment or a software program. Attachments contained in fraudulent emails often contain viruses that may harm your computer or compromise your PayPal account.
* Request for Personal Information: If we require information from you, we will notify you in an email and request that you enter the information only after you have safely and securely logged in to your PayPal account.

Often, fraudulent emails will request details such as your full name, account password, credit card number, bank account, PIN number, Social Security Number, or mother's maiden name.

If you think that you have received a fraudulent email (or fake website), please forward the email (or URL address) to [email protected] and then delete the email from your mailbox. Never click any links or attachments in a suspicious email.

To learn more about protecting your PayPal account, please review our Security Tips.

About | Accounts | Fees | Privacy | Security Center | Contact Us | User Agreement | Develo
Old 28-11-2004, 17:45   #9 (permalink)

Threadstarter
cheers, just looked at the email again and it does have a paypal logo but that means nothing and going by the line
Quote:
Greeting: Emails from PayPal will address you by your first and last name or the business name associated with your PayPal account. Fraudulent emails often include the salutation "Dear PayPal User" or "Dear PayPal Member".
it addresses me by my email address and not my first and last name[/quote]
brettytopbanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2004, 17:46   #10 (permalink)

Threadstarter
im quite worried now as i really dont need my money nicked this close to christmas