Standard trim????? - theMGZR.co.uk :: MG ZR forum
Go Back   theMGZR.co.uk :: MG ZR forum > General > General MG ZR Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2020, 08:20   #1 (permalink)
*Newbie* Handle with care

warrenguimas is on a distinguished road
Standard trim?????

I have just purchased a mk1 MG ZR 160 5door. I want to keep it all standard. It has blue interior grab handles on the doors and a blue interior cover for the heating control. Is this correct? I don***8217;t think it was ever an Option and has just been painted. Also I have seen some models with a long straight trim above the glove box is this something that can be fitted as I think it looks smart? Also if you have the blue insert seats is it normal to have the half blue steering wheel? Sorry for the fire of questions but any advice would be appreciated.
warrenguimas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2020, 17:50   #2 (permalink)

Man in the Car will become famous soon enoughMan in the Car will become famous soon enough
Welcome to the forum. Sorry it has taken a while to get reply, but there aren't really many active users left on the forum nowadays.

The upper dash strip (above the glove box) was a carry-over from the earlier bubble Rover 200 and was finished in a Walnut effect pattern on the Rovers and a printed silver carbon fibre effect pattern for the MG ZR. Revisions to the dash for the 2003 model year saw the dash moulding altered and the trim strip deleted for both the 25 and ZR. As it fits into a recess in the original dash moulding, and the revised moulding hasn't got this, it isn't really possible to retro fit the dash strip without swapping out the entire dash moulding (although this isn't actually as big or as difficult a job as you might at first imagine).

The painted door pull inserts and heater control fascia may well have been painted aftermarket, but these parts were actually available as a brochure listed option for the early ZRs, and were subsequently offered as an option through the Monogram special ordering scheme which was introduced in 2002 (and offered a range of non-standard exterior colours and various interior and extra equipment options not available from normal dealer stock).

As you also have the steering wheel with the blue inserts (which was a similarly listed option), I would think they may be original fit. Some owners did retro fit second hand coloured steering wheels, but the blue ones were very hard to get hold of other than buying a brand new one from a Rover dealer (which were very expensive). On the earlier cars, a dash strip in the same colour came as part of the optional kit.

These trims were available in Trophy Blue, Trophy Yellow, Solar Red or Le Mans Green and were quite rarely fitted, and even rarer to find now.

The Monaco seat coverings with the coloured inserts (Blue, Red, Yellow, Green or Grey) were standard fit to all ZR 160 with the coloured inserts either matching or complementing the exterior colour. A different one of these colours from the one normally supplied with the particular exterior colour could be specified as a factory order option.

Last edited by Man in the Car; 02-03-2020 at 17:55.
Man in the Car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 07:20   #3 (permalink)

Threadstarter
No problem. Sorry for my late reply I didn***8217;t think I was going to get a response. Is there anywhere that is more active with a good set of members for these cars?

A really detailed response. Thank you. I like the blue just didn***8217;t want to go to over board with it all and keep as much as I can standard. Just sanded down the sunroof and resealed. Now on to getting the SCU out to sort out the central locking etc and then smarting up and make a 100%

Old 05-03-2020, 18:52   #4 (permalink)

Man in the Car will become famous soon enoughMan in the Car will become famous soon enough
There isn't really anywhere else forum wise that is terribly active nowadays - unless you resort to the facebook groups where (from what bit that I have seen) you are quite likely to get fed a lot of stuff which is either misguided, inaccurate or just plain wrong.

The 25/ZR section of www.mg-rover.org does see some activity still, but is still fairly quiet nonetheless, and www.themgzrownersclub.co.uk is about as dead as this place now too

So many ZRs have been either modified to death or simply battered, abused and destroyed by uncaring owners, it is good to come across someone who wants to preserve one as (or near to) factory standard. Hope all goes well.

If you're having the SCU out, it may be as well to replace all five relays in it whilst it is out - if you don't know already, Paul Brown at www.technozen-electronics.co.uk can supply better quality relays than the Pektron originals (and can fit too for a fee if you send the unit to him - in this case he will always read the Emergency Key Access code from the SCU and provide as part of the service; always useful to have if you don't already know it).
Man in the Car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 20:45   #5 (permalink)

Threadstarter
I know half the reason I got one. Actually my 2nd but always wanted to keep a 160. This had only done 60k so thought it was worth putting the effort into. Yes I got my mechanic to take it out today and had already found Paul online with plenty of good reviews etc... nice to know you think highly of him too. It will be in the post tomorrow so hopefully back ASAP then I can enjoy the car! Thank you for your advice.