MG ZR Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Loadsamoney! So shut it!!!
4,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
in todays sun there a bit in the car section saying theres a range topping ZR180?

i think they might be wrong!

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
i was reading that too mickey..........as far as i know (wich is ltd) they don"t make a zr180..........does anybody know any more info on this?

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Hmm, The Sun. What are the chances of such a high quality paper making a mistake? :wink:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Rumour has it they are releasing a 1.8 with 180bhp. It will be fitted to the TF and the ZR.

not sure if it is turboed or not.

·
989 Posts
dout it like ... they prob mean a zt or zs 180 the new beastie ... i cant remeber what model u call it agen but the one which is like the rover 45 ...

the 180 version of that is fuckin wickid probs bad ass bodykit. looks a tad bit like a evo ?

·
Flat Capper
707 Posts
The Sun have it wrong... it should say '160'!

Also, its worth noting the starting price is about a grand too high as well!

...This forum did have the news about the 75 Coupe and the MG GT before they did tho :wink:

·
CheeseKitten
16,588 Posts
GT said:
The Sun have it wrong... it should say '160'!

Also, its worth noting the starting price is about a grand too high as well!

...This forum did have the news about the 75 Coupe and the MG GT before they did tho :wink:
=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

·
Big Slicks agony uncle
1,885 Posts
I don't why MGR don't bring out a 2.0 litre version of the ZR. It might make those who crave more power and go over to different makes of car like the Type R change their minds. They fit a 2.0 litre K series engine into the rally ZR's don't they? Plus they manage to squeeze a 2.0 litre diesel into the engine bay ok.

Imagine a 2.0 litre ZR with VVC. That would be cool. :cool:

I wonder how many horses it would pack.

Ewan.

·
Big Slicks agony uncle
1,885 Posts
smoggie said:
I don't why MGR don't bring out a 2.0 litre version of the ZR. It might make those who crave more power and go over to different makes of car like the Type R change their minds. They fit a 2.0 litre K series engine into the rally ZR's don't they? Plus they manage to squeeze a 2.0 litre diesel into the engine bay ok.

Imagine a 2.0 litre ZR with VVC. That would be cool. :cool:

I wonder how many horses it would pack.

Ewan.

·
Registered
12,564 Posts
i dont think they will use a VVC on a 2lt (could be wrong here) but i think there is more potential from a non VVC head.

·
Big Slicks agony uncle
1,885 Posts
hob said:
i dont think they will use a VVC on a 2lt (could be wrong here) but i think there is more potential from a non VVC head.
Ok. If there's a better way of souping an engine up then I hope they go for it. The question is though, will they?

Ewan.

·
Flat Capper
707 Posts
The K2000 uses the VVC head, without the mechanism...

Its not a question of whether the engine will fit, its the same dimensions externally as any other K-series. There are only a few 2.0 ZR's about, none of them rally - they're all 120's (various tunes upto 185) and 105's (nigh on standard).

The problem is that to make the 2.0 work within the restrictions of the k-series block, it reuqires a very very careful bore to 85.2mm (i think) and a lengthened stroke. Plus quite a few parts have been uprated to give greater tollerances.

The package as a whole works very well, and is competent at 210Ps (as per ZR-X210 spec) and can push the BTCC cars at 280bhp-ish!

But the work is expensive, to buy a 1.8 185Ps engine from MGR costs about £5k, to buy the K2000 costs £9k + exhaust manifold, clutch etc etc which come included with most 185s.

So knock off £4k for the price of the 160... then add the price of the K2000 fitment and u got yourself a car thats just over the £20k mark - very expensive!

·
Flat Capper
707 Posts
oh... plus add better brakes, the different alloys, M3 style wing mirrors, new rear lights, the full leather interior, the £90 x-power car mats etc and it all mounts up to make the ZR-X a bit pricey, and MGR know this!

·
Registered
12,564 Posts
GT said:
The K2000 uses the VVC head, without the mechanism...

Its not a question of whether the engine will fit, its the same dimensions externally as any other K-series. There are only a few 2.0 ZR's about, none of them rally - they're all 120's (various tunes upto 185) and 105's (nigh on standard).

The problem is that to make the 2.0 work within the restrictions of the k-series block, it reuqires a very very careful bore to 85.2mm (i think) and a lengthened stroke. Plus quite a few parts have been uprated to give greater tollerances.

The package as a whole works very well, and is competent at 210Ps (as per ZR-X210 spec) and can push the BTCC cars at 280bhp-ish!

But the work is expensive, to buy a 1.8 185Ps engine from MGR costs about £5k, to buy the K2000 costs £9k + exhaust manifold, clutch etc etc which come included with most 185s.

So knock off £4k for the price of the 160... then add the price of the K2000 fitment and u got yourself a car thats just over the £20k mark - very expensive!
Yea then your into exspensive cars, low spec BMW's etc and rover i dont think can afford to build one the quality of beemer on a large scale :(

·
Flat Capper
707 Posts
Give it time, we may yet see the engine appear. But it needs to be on a bigger better scale and planned for the car from day 1. Then maybe it could be fitted to the top of the range ZS replacement, with build quality worth of the price tag currently held by the ZT!

Thats pure (wishful) speculation on my behalf by the way...

·
Registered
12,564 Posts
GT said:
Give it time, we may yet see the engine appear. But it needs to be on a bigger better scale and planned for the car from day 1. Then maybe it could be fitted to the top of the range ZS replacement, with build quality worth of the price tag currently held by the ZT!

Thats pure (wishful) speculation on my behalf by the way...
I would also love to see this, but i have a feeling mgr will cut corners in the wrong place, hopefully they will have learned by now.

·
Flat Capper
707 Posts
Who knows what the future holds... they proved they can do it when money is no issue with the 75/ZT design... lets hope our friends in the East can supply that same backing to produce some cracking cars!

As the sun said... "It aint over, Rover"

1 - 20 of 33 Posts