MG ZR Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi my mg zr 1.4 has been playing up recently.
a couple of times in the last week i will be driving down the road and it will splutter and almost dies, so i pull over and some times it will die, but starts up and will run again fine for days or weeks! other times it keeps doing it!

Its really intermittant and it never does it long enough for me to get it into my garage and look at it.

Also the engine warning/ managment light stayed on all day saterday but it drove fine. and then this morning it was off but the car played up!

Anyone else had this problem??

Thanks.

·
Boost ftw!!
1,493 Posts
+1

Or if you've got a spare 50 quid, nip in to argos and buy a diagnostic fault code reader. I bought 1 yesterday and i now know what is wrong with my car and the annoying light is out. :D

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Ah, Cheers.. I swear i found one for 119 that looked the spitting image... and was an RAC one.. :S!

How does it work? (lol) I've never used one.. I.E where doe sit plug in? easy? - Which cars will the plug fit and work with etc etc? :) Cheers.

·
Boost ftw!!
1,493 Posts
Ah, Cheers.. I swear i found one for 119 that looked the spitting image... and was an RAC one.. :S!

How does it work? (lol) I've never used one.. I.E where doe sit plug in? easy? - Which cars will the plug fit and work with etc etc? :) Cheers.
Works on all cars after 2002, and some before. The 119 one is slightly better coz it gives you a better description of what the problem is, but once you've got the code you just check the book that comes with it or look it up on the net. Not really worth the extra 70 like.
If you look behind your centre console(ashtray) there's a thing that looks like a scart, that's where it plugs in.
Pretty easy to use (instructions obviously).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i have had my car on the diagnostics computer and it has come up with two faults.
1. oil temp sensor. ( has actually snapped off the top half. )
2. multiple missfires.

could the oil temp sensor cause the missfiring?

and does anyone sell the temp sensors?

thanks.

·
Premium Member
31,424 Posts
i have had my car on the diagnostics computer and it has come up with two faults.
1. oil temp sensor. ( has actually snapped off the top half. )
2. multiple missfires.

could the oil temp sensor cause the missfiring?

and does anyone sell the temp sensors?

thanks.
Didn't think there was a oil temp sensor on the zr....can't see that causing a misfire tbh...

I'll stick to what i said earlier.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i have now replaced the oil temp sender and its still spluttering. when its doing it, it ticks over at 1200 rpm which is strange as it normally ticks over at about 800 rpm.

im going to strat changing ht leads and coils etc next but just wondered if anyone has had the same symptoms?

thanks.

·
Registered
120 Posts
ive had same problem mate you need new sparks,they are platinum and go for around £7.50 each,i put new ones in my zr,the car drives like new,check your old ones for how your air and fuel mix is,failing that check your air mass sensor and i would get the timing checked to,better to check the timing asap.....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.