MG ZR Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I used to have a ZR105+ but in the next few weeks im going to be looking for a ZR160 and I was just wondering if there is any difference in them, do all 160s have the same things like abs, electric windows etc ? also is there any difference between the different year models is a 2001 going to be exactly the same as a 2003 ?
Is there any other things i should be looking for while im searching ?

also if you know anywhere that has a yellow 160 somewhere near farnborough could you let me know as ive only seen 5 on autotrader within 100miles they dont seem very easy to find :blink2:

Cheers for your help

·
Loadsamoney! So shut it!!!
4,103 Posts
LOTS AND LOTS OF DIFFERENCES!!!!!!!!!!11

the main 1 being 55bhp

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Hi m8,

All 160's come with Air Con, half leather seats, ABS, Electric windows etc as standard but I think the main change is with the alarm system. I have an 02 reg 160 and it had an alarm that was easy to get around, thats why I upgraded to a Toad alarm. After the 03 reg MG upgraded the alarm system.

Things to look out for are the same as most ZR's:

Check the side skirt plates make sure they are plastic and not metal (Rust easily)
Check MG badges for signs of water
Give the engine bay a once over and check for any oil leaks etc
check boot hinges for signs of rust
on pre 53 reg models check all skirts and bumpers and make sure not loose(after 53 the bumper was built as one)
Let the engine run and warm up, shouldn't be too noisy. The K series is a loud engine and the VVC unit on the 160 does increase engine noise, you won't notice this when you open her up :up:
Take her out for a test drive and remember the VVC dont kick in until about 6k :twisted:

Good luck

·
4,103 Posts
sorry spy i had to say that its the voice!!

welcome to the forum mate!

·
Registered
14,935 Posts
Well i got a 160 on an 03 plate...and mines pretty sweet, just like what neil said as above is the most important stuff....

And i thought my 160 was quick and found out it was slow....LOL...

Now the VVC cuts in and with a full exhaust system she flies....

Sure you will have fun tho :up: :wohow:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
whats the problem with the alarm on the earlier versions does it mean people can steal your car easily ?

·
4,103 Posts
most 160 need trackers

wont go it to security as this aint the place but R25 and MG a like share a silly design floor sorted out in the later models so i am told!

·
2,039 Posts
Mickeyblu said:
most 160 need trackers

wont go it to security as this aint the place but R25 and MG a like share a silly design floor sorted out in the later models so i am told!

04 plated models onwards dont require trackers as they have an uprated alarm system. A lot of insurance companies advise fitting of a tracker but on these later models its an option and wont effect premium if you dont get one fiitted.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
I don't need a tracker on my 02 plate with Adrian flux just a cat 1 alarm, same with direct line. In answer to you question the old 160 alarm system was easy to get around if you know how ;) They guy who fitted my Toad gave me an idea of how easy it was and I couldn't believe it!! of course I wont tell people how online :wallb:

·
Registered
12,564 Posts
yup twas very easy.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I had a look at a y reg 2001 160 today it looked in really good condition and only had 13k miles on it but i noticed it did have the metal bits holding the side skirts on would these cost alot to replace if needed and how easy would it be ?

Also with the security problem you mentioned I know it will obviously be on this car as its the early model but does it make it stupidly easy to steal or just easier for someone who knows what theyre doing. the main thing im worried about is that i wont be able to get a new alarm installed for at least a few months so will it be ok for a while.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Take her out for a test drive and remember the VVC dont kick in until about 6k :twisted:
Ummmm, the VVC is continually varying. It does not kick in anywhere. It's not a Vtec style system.

The torque curve should be pretty flat and give a good clean boost from around 2,200 rpm to about 6,800.

·
570 Posts
A few other things to check (petty things) - check all the seat clips are intact, and also check that the boot shuts without the shelf catching, does my head in!

·
Registered
14,935 Posts
gary160 said:
I need a tracker on my 160 with Direct Line.

[email protected] which Toad alarm have you got and what features has it got and you added (if that makes sense) and how much.

Really???

I dont need a tracker on mine and im with directline...03 plate :up:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts