MG ZR Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys!

Just a quick question i've been thinking of purchasing a X-Power exhaust for a while now, however the price is kind of putting me off £230 :shock: Anyway i phoned Janspeed and they provide a Twin exhaust for MG X-Power and Also the same one for Janspeed. The Janspeed one is much £50 cheaper, however the problem is would this Void your warranty as i persume your suppose to use the X-Power one to keep the warranty, but if there both produced by Janspeed does this matter??
Any advice would be great, cheers

G

·
Yes it will void your exhaust warranty, but it is only valid for a year, and you will get a warranty of sorts with the Janspeed one anyway

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So will it not Void the warranty of the car, for example if something goes wrong with the car with the janspeed exhaust on will they still fix it? They could turn around and say you did'nt use the recomended X-Power exhaust? Confusing

·
Registered
12,564 Posts
ZR_MAD said:
So will it not Void the warranty of the car, for example if something goes wrong with the car with the janspeed exhaust on will they still fix it? They could turn around and say you did'nt use the recomended X-Power exhaust? Confusing

phone your dealer and ask, best bet and try to get it in writing too. :D

G

·
There are several trains of thought here.

The warranty is open to interpretation by the dealer and is not legally binding. One of the reasons why it is so deliberatley vague and why it is called a "warranty" and not a "Guarantee" which is legally binding. A warranty is a goodwill gesture only on behalf of the manufacturer and like all dealers there are some good and some bad.

The warranty on a ZR is for 3 years out of which the 1st year is a guarantee under the consumer protection act. Certain 'consumeables' though only have 1 years warranty. This covers things like brakes, tyres, clutches, bulbs, windscreen wipers etc. Exhausts are considered one of these consumeables hence the 1 year warranty.

Now you could have a word with your dealer, tell him what you are considering and ask his advice on what will and wont invalidate your warranty and to what degree. There is a train of thought that says that by changing the exhaust you are therefore increasing the power of the engine which in turn increases the stresses and strains and could promote premature failure. In reality I have not heard of a case like this.

If you ask MG-R themselves they will not pass comment saying that it is up to the dealer concerned and they are unable or unwilling to pass comment (believe me I have tried).

Simple bottom line is to go and ask your dealer and see what he says. If he wont, try another (although again, according to the office of fair trading, any warranty issues should be taken up with the dealer supplying the car. How the hell you are supposed to do that should you move away or buy from an auction/private/non-mg/ dealership beats me!)

There are loads of people here who have changed exhausts with no adverse effects and some who have got either partial or full Janspeed exhausts with do detriment to thier engines, in fact quite the reverse.

There is a train of thought that if it could be proved that an exhaust (or any other item for that matter) has caused damage to your car then, providing that it was fitted correctly and used in an approved matter that it could be deemed to be of unmerchantable quality and you could probably take the company to court. Best of luck though if you do decide to go that way as normally the only people who come out ahead in these matters are the soliciters!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts