MG ZR Forums banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Said it all above really, no one seems to have answered who has driven both.

Or are we back on the racing.... you're my hero... type of thread?

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
i think any thread comparing the speed/power/torque/ of any 2 cars is frowned upon, even if it isnt related to racing and just for general knowledge.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
having very very bad experiences with a citroen xsara VTR before i can honestly say i HATE citroens... the older ones at least.

G

·
Alice raced a VTR today, and was up its arse for a long way, and yes he did have his foot to the floor cos he was nxt to us from the lights, having 3 of us in the ZR and 2 in the vtr it wasnt that much difference in power...and the ZR is heavyier than the citroen...

i believe the zr is much more "Quicker then a vtr, which i still dont get as its a 1.6 right, and alice's is a 1400....??

its too late to think.... i'll re post later :D

·
Premium Member
14,041 Posts
ive got a question, thought id ask here rather than make a new thread
mate of mine at work(who is a [email protected]) has not long got a seat ibiza sport, 1.4 i think he said, anyway he keeps hinting about a race, saying ooooo would be interesting, both 1.4's,both similar size, both sport models, etc
now i dont want to race him, i cba, i dont race on roads and he does even have a full licenece, insurance, so he can go swivel anyways, if i was to, who's do you think would win?

·
Registered
8,474 Posts
ive got a question, thought id ask here rather than make a new thread
mate of mine at work(who is a [email protected]) has not long got a seat ibiza sport, 1.4 i think he said, anyway he keeps hinting about a race, saying ooooo would be interesting, both 1.4's,both similar size, both sport models, etc
now i dont want to race him, i cba, i dont race on roads and he does even have a full licenece, insurance, so he can go swivel anyways, if i was to, who's do you think would win?
depends on which model he has, but in general, you'd kill him.

·
Rover Owner
3,488 Posts
I would recommend anyone who is interested in knowing how their car performs in comparison to mates cars take them up to Santa Pod on a 'run what you brung' day and put it to the test. It's a great fun and safe way of putting your money where your mouth is. UK roads are very difficult to have a race of any variety...especially down where I live where the state of the road plays more on the results than the ability of the car. So get it on the track and do it properly!

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have owned a late vtr 3 plug ecu 98bhp and a vts and 3zeds the saxo pull well through the rev range.It would only be the power to weight with a vtr that would make it have any advantage.

·
IN for Mod hate!
25,170 Posts
well seen as the arlier vtr has 98bhp and lack of torque and the vts had iirc 110bhp and not much torque, but the later versions had a big over hall, the vtr went upto 110bhp with a nice torque increase and the vts to 120 i think with another torque increase..

Have had goes in all the models and yes they are ****e, but the power is in first and second and then like most other french cars, they fade...

·
Registered
7,532 Posts
This will never ever be resolved as there are far too many crucial items the main one being the driver. Some people will brag they have killed such and such a car wheras others will bleat they have been killed by the same car.

Watch F1 or BTCC or even 'Star in a reasonably priced car' on top Gear to see just how much driver ability can affect performance and speeds. We all know (think?) we are the best drivers on the roads and everyone else is pants, so the point is mute really isnt it?

·
Registered
63 Posts
well seen as the arlier vtr has 98bhp and lack of torque and the vts had iirc 110bhp and not much torque, but the later versions had a big over hall, the vtr went upto 110bhp with a nice torque increase and the vts to 120 i think with another torque increase..

Phase 1 saxo vtr has 89bhp on a single plug ecu the phase 2 saxo vtr has a 3plug ecu 98bhp.All saxo vts were 120bhp from start to end of production.

·
Premium Member
3,616 Posts
Side by side, you'll find the 105 and the VTR quite even. The VTR uses lower gear ratio's than the ZR, and you'll find that in first it pulls away, until the gear change, where the ZR pulls back, then the same in second, changing just below 60, whereas the ZR will do that in second and so pulls back when the VTR is in 3rd already. The VTR does have the slight advantage though.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I had a vtr before my ZR and its alot faster through first and second but buy the time you get to 4th its dies and trys to cruise wheras the Zed will keep going. Plus the 0-60 time on the Zed is 10 seconds and the VTR is 9.8 i think. For the engine size of the Zed it does give alot for only being a 1.4 16v.

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
Im really surprised the VTS is only 120bhp, i always thought it was up around 150 or so, because if i remember right its something like group 15 for insurance which is crazy for a car with just 120 bhp.

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
End of the day though, its a horrible car, inside and out. Never much liked them and sure they may be faster but they are built like a tin can with wheel.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts