MG ZR Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed my standard wheel nits are starting to show signs of rounding ,anybody know or can link me to some good replacements

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
dont know if honda ones may be the same, would need to compare, the advantage being they are solid rather than 2 piece like the rover ones,

·
Premium Member
4,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
dont know if honda ones may be the same, would need to compare, the advantage being they are solid rather than 2 piece like the rover ones,
Iooks like the outer covers on mine are what is starting to wear so dont want to risk not being able to remove them if they do round

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
the cover will just pull off and youll be able to take them off with an 18mm socket, happens all the time on fords too when theyve been overtightened( pain in the arse tyre shops that buzz them up)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have an MG ZR. I've struggled with some of the wheel bolts to get off as they have rounded. Do you know if when taking the wheel nuts off the metal cap has to come off first. Most off the wheel nuts come off when the cap is on. Please is this supposed to happen? I've syruggef getting the metal cap off and is the bolt under the cap 18 mm. Lastly if the bolt under the cap is rounded clis there a tool I can remove it with. Regards

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Welcome to the forum (albeit a rather quiet one nowadays :() :bin laden:

The stainless covers on the MG wheel nut are not designed to be removed - the 19mm wheelnut wrench that is normally provided in the toolkit that came with cars fitted with a spare is sized to fit over the cover. The exception is the original fit Rover 'locking' wheelnut which were fitted until 2004 (one on each wheel) where the cap does need to be pulled off to access the shaped nut underneath (a tubular plastic removal tool was also provided in the aforementioned toolkit - often ending up broken by people trying to remove the fixed caps from the other wheel nuts with it!). The cap on this cap has a shallow rectangular recess embossed into it for easy identification.

They often end up being rounded off by a combination of people tightening them up far too tight, and rough garages using air wrenches to loosen and tighten the nuts. You would probably be able to get a decent set of replacement nuts from a breaker for very little money (they usually go straight in a bin for scrap). There are also a number of eBay sellers offering replacement wheel nuts for the MG and Rover cars which are reasonably priced (but take care to ensure that you are getting nuts with a radius seat - ie. slightly rounded. Nuts with a conical/tapered seat are not suitable for the original factory fit alloys for the 25/ZR and 45/ZS).

If you have rounded nuts that are difficult to remove, you can either use a hammer to bang a socket one size less than the nut should be (this will in all probability knacker the socket), or you can take the car to a garage or tyre fitting company who will be very likely to have suitable tools to easily remove difficult nuts, or locking nuts for which the key socket has been lost (make sure you have a set of suitable replacement nuts first though ;))

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thankyou so much for your help. I work at a VW garage and the techs were saying that I need to remove the metal cap. They are so wrong especially I suppose the VW wheel nuts are studs.
I bought 12 nuts on EBay as I knew I would have this problem. Please is the but under the cap 18 mm? The only socket I don't have.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts