MG ZR Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm looking to invest in an Induction kit to replace the standard airbox. I dont have much knowledge of cars but I have friends who can help. I am after a decent induction kit with a price that wont break the bank. I'm after performance improvement.

Any help would be gratefully recieved and suggestions and where to get various ones. :)

Thanks,

Chr1s

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
If its performance increase your looking for go for an enclosed system. Open filters give a nice roar but also suffer from heat soak from the engine which can cause a performance decrease. There are many different systems you could got for:

CDA BMC
Quickshift Taipan 2
ITG
PiperCross Viper

The main problem everyone has is getting a good point for the cold air feed as this is vital. take a browse through this part of the forum and there are many posts on induction kits.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts

·
Registered
7,532 Posts
Apireo are doing some cool induction kits at some very competitive prices.

I have just fitted a carbon fibre Diavolo to mine

·
Registered
422 Posts
dR0Og said:
Apireo are doing some cool induction kits at some very competitive prices.

I have just fitted a carbon fibre Diavolo to mine
if ur after performance improvment at a great price then droog it right go for same as him for £89 with the discount u get from being a member on here then u cant go wrong with that one

personally i want a nice sound with no power loss and not 2 bothered about power gain so il b going for a open pipercross with 2 cold air feeds which sud come to about £100

·
Rusty Hole......
1,475 Posts
i'm with [email protected] on this one, althou i might not drive a Zed the ideas are the same.

a cone filter is only good when the engine is cold, which is the time that you shouldnt be thrashing it as it causes more damage, (you've all seen the GTX ads!) once the engine bay is warm the filter then takes in the hot air.

buying an enclosed filter system or replcement filter should give you better gains, with a direct cold air feed from the outside.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
I have decided to srcap my open filter and go with a performance panel filter. I have lost that induction sound, but its less noisy at motorway speeds and I have seen an increase in low down pickup. With all the problems of getting a good cold air feed in place im not going for an after market enclosed system anymore as without a good feed it could be worse :eek:

·
Registered
7,532 Posts
YES.

I did a test with my 105 at Janspeed

I did a run with an Apireo open filter on and then another run with the standard airbox but with a pipercross panel filter fitted.

The panel filter gave the biggest max power (+2HP)

The open filter gave the biggest mid range increase (+7HP)

·
Registered
422 Posts
lol im just after a nice noice with no performance loss but not 2 arsed about performance gained so gonna go for a pipercross open induction kit with 2 cold air feeds sud give me a rly nice sound with no power loss and mayb a small power increase in the mid range

·
Registered
326 Posts
take it u went with k&n i looked it up
and there was no pipercross

how long was delivery my order going in first thing tomoroow

1 - 18 of 18 Posts