MG ZR Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI guys just been spending a bit of money on the 25 this month, ive just bought the 1.6 conversion (pistons and liners) a Janspeed Tubular 4-2-1 Manifold(heat wrapped), Janspeed Decat Pipe, Powerflow Silencer Box, janspeed backbox,:happy: uprated head gasket, 52mm throttle body, fully enclosed induction kit what sort of bhp should i have on average? :evo: thanks guys

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im still never going to be able to beat the 106 gti am i :( need to look into other mods ive got the 1.8 crank but im not sure what other bits im going to need

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
if you want a fast car why not buy a fast car
because my insurance would be a bitch, plus my car has 36,000 miles and has already had alot spent on it! just want to stick with it for a bit longer until i can afford a rx8:sly:

·
Registered
8,474 Posts
not on your life mate, the 106gti will do 60 in about between 7.4 and 7.8 i believe depending on which engine is in it. even the zr 120 doesnt come close. in fact, my mate has a 106 gti but his is the 135 bhp late-spec vts engine. my 120 with nitrous was pretty much dead level with his from 0 to 60, roughly 7 seconds flat.

·
I Like To Disco Dance
5,734 Posts
because my insurance would be a bitch, plus my car has 36,000 miles and has already had alot spent on it! just want to stick with it for a bit longer until i can afford a rx8:sly:
so you not insuring the mods then, as it is more expensive to insure mods than it is to insure a standard fast car

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so you not insuring the mods then, as it is more expensive to insure mods than it is to insure a standard fast car
yes im insuring mods its only £579 third party but if i bought a new car id want to go fully comp because obvioulsy it will be worth more than a rover

·
Registered
5,209 Posts
Im still never going to be able to beat the 106 gti am i :( need to look into other mods ive got the 1.8 crank but im not sure what other bits im going to need
I had a tussle with a 106 GTi a few months ago and was very surprised with it :yes:
Mine pulled away from it, but it wasnt that much slower than me :no:

I later met the driver at a petrol station after he recognised my car and got chatting to him. It had been modded to 145bhp with a remap etc.
They are extremely light and i reckon another 20bhp or so more and he'd be keeping pace with me, certainly upto 60-70mph :cry:

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Yeah they really move for little cars, same as the VTS. I rally wanted either of these when they first came out.

Shame they are all driven by scrotes now

·
I Like To Disco Dance
5,734 Posts
I had a tussle with a 106 GTi a few months ago and was very surprised with it :yes:
Mine pulled away from it, but it wasnt that much slower than me :no:

I later met the driver at a petrol station after he recognised my car and got chatting to him. It had been modded to 145bhp with a remap etc.
They are extremely light and i reckon another 20bhp or so more and he'd be keeping pace with me, certainly upto 60-70mph :cry:
yeah tehre is one that goes about my area, its about the same sort of power, full rollcage etc, he cut me up a beauty in the punto, so when i seen him on the road with the zed had a play with him, he was keeping up untill it was boosting but was very impressed with it, i think that was the hardest ive driven the zed and the wee bugger kept catching me in the corners.

·
Registered
8,474 Posts
yeah, through corners they are insane. when i was insured on the coupe for a week or so chasing him i had to be really careful, as i was gaining on him on the straights, but he can could carry so much more speed through corners than me, so obviously i had to break a lot more.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
yeah, through corners they are insane. when i was insured on the coupe for a week or so chasing him i had to be really careful, as i was gaining on him on the straights, but he can could carry so much more speed through corners than me, so obviously i had to break a lot more.
A well driven Zed is the equal to one around the twistys, especially if the road gets a bit bumpy

·
Registered
8,474 Posts
his is lowered, new springs and shocks up front, springs and lowered torsion bar on the rear, and there are very few cars that can get near one of them in that state of tune, they are like go carts. also, i wasnt in the zed....

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
No I know, I read you were in the Coupe and they are no where near as good as a Zed.

I wasn't commenting on your driving, just stating an what I found when driving them back to back

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Couldn't agree with you more, they are fine, If you do the same to a Zed though, you are back to square one. Certainly on rallys I've done a 106 hasn't been any better around the corners than a ZR

·
Registered
77 Posts
not on your life mate, the 106gti will do 60 in about between 7.4 and 7.8 i believe depending on which engine is in it. even the zr 120 doesnt come close. in fact, my mate has a 106 gti but his is the 135 bhp late-spec vts engine.

there never ever was a 135bhp 106gti/saxo vts, 120's all im afraid.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts