MG ZR Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son owned this for a short while then sold it on. Anyone know where it is now?

photo for upload

These photos are from this site I believe that I saved many moons ago. My lad bought this car in Peterborough I believe but after 2 head gasket blows within a few months it had to go.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Running a vehicle enquiry on the DVLA website would be a starting point.

If that site returns no result, try entering it into https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/ - if the vehicle enquiry site gives no result, but this one comes up with the vehicle details, it is pretty much definite that it has been recorded as scrapped.

If neither site gives any result, it indicates that the registration number has been changed again.

Edit: have done a bit of a search of this forum and found its 'normal' registration number is YP53 VBJ, and running the vehicle enquiry search shows it as having had no MOT since early 2015, and has been on a SORN for some time - this suggests it still exists, but whether someone has parked it up and it is still cared for, or whether it is abandoned in the nettles, being used purely as a track car, or whether it is languishing in a breakers yard is anyones guess.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Running a vehicle enquiry on the DVLA website would be a starting point.

If that site returns no result, try entering it into https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/ - if the vehicle enquiry site gives no result, but this one comes up with the vehicle details, it is pretty much definite that it has been recorded as scrapped.

If neither site gives any result, it indicates that the registration number has been changed again.

Edit: have done a bit of a search of this forum and found its 'normal' registration number is YP53 VBJ, and running the vehicle enquiry search shows it as having had no MOT since early 2015, and has been on a SORN for some time - this suggests it still exists, but whether someone has parked it up and it is still cared for, or whether it is abandoned in the nettles, being used purely as a track car, or whether it is languishing in a breakers yard is anyones guess.
Thanks for that info.

It was a bad buy to be honest, cost about 4 grand I think but as the engine was primed up he had nothing but problems with it. I think my son had it for about 6 to 8 months and the head gasket blew twice. It was a real looker and could hear the roar about a mile away. He eventually part exd it.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
To be honest, repeat head gasket failures most often occur because it wasn't replaced properly in the first place - too many repairers don't take the trouble to find out how and why the gasket failed, and fail to select the most appropriate gasket type for the repair.

That ZR had a PTP 140 conversion done on it by Power Train Projects - the company in Hinckley which did much of the engine modification engineering work for MG Rover in the first place.

Shaun who owned it when those pics were taken, spent a fortune on it, and a massive amount of his own time - it was a very well modded and very well looked after car when he sold it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To be honest, repeat head gasket failures most often occur because it wasn't replaced properly in the first place - too many repairers don't take the trouble to find out how and why the gasket failed, and fail to select the most appropriate gasket type for the repair.

That ZR had a PTP 140 conversion done on it by Power Train Projects - the company in Hinckley which did much of the engine modification engineering work for MG Rover in the first place.

Shaun who owned it when those pics were taken, spent a fortune on it, and a massive amount of his own time - it was a very well modded and very well looked after car when he sold it.
Yes there was no doubt it was well taken care of and had a lot of cash spending on it. I believe a young lad owned it after the previous owner but couldnt afford the insurance which was around 4K if you declared everything to the insurance company. Buying cars like this are a status symbol and can be very expensive if you dont know what youve bought. 4 grand and 6 months later it proved to be very expensive. It was part exed over towards Middlesbrough.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts