MG ZR Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats the most weight anyone has removed from their ZR's...ive heard 100kg is about what you can expect by removing the door cards, rear seats and such...but anyone got more than that?

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All the back is stripped out and ive got no door cards. Will give it a weigh tommorow if your intrested? 10kg can be had from removing the soundproofing on the floor as well. That stuff weighs loads! Shame its a biatch to get off...
Would be interesting to see how light the ZR can get.

·
Premium Member
6,216 Posts
Went for a drive in it today, you can really hear the fuelpump going without any carpets which is quite off putting, as well as stones and other stuff rattling as it bounces under the car.

Doesnt do much for the refinement. Its also raised the back of my car, bit higher at the back than the front now :(

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Went for a drive in it today, you can really hear the fuelpump going without any carpets which is quite off putting, as well as stones and other stuff rattling as it bounces under the car.

Doesnt do much for the refinement. Its also raised the back of my car, bit higher at the back than the front now :(
Does the drive feel any different with reduced weight? does you feel any improved performance?

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Does the drive feel any different with reduced weight? does you feel any improved performance?
if you remove 100kg you will feel a massive difference. Acceleration will be vastly improved. This is the good part.

If you think though its going to be very very noisy in the car, there has been plenty of threads on this already if you want to search.

If its your daily driver then its not really reccomended to rip everything out as it will be annoying

·
Premium Member
6,216 Posts
Felt faster, but before I had a 1.4 with an interior, and now ive got a 1.8 with no interior. So I cant really say what its done to be honest. I can brake later though and take a few corners a little faster, so it has made a difference!

·
Premium Member
28,417 Posts
When I was taking the stuff off my 135 to put on the 160, I took the 135 to work with pretty much only one seat, a steering wheel and a seatbelt in the car and it was quicker than my 160 and handled like an absolute mother-****er! Doubt I could handle my car being like that every day though.

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, im started stripping out my car, figure i can just totally gut it just to see what its like stripped, then put it all back in at some point.

But, im wondering, in the interest of practicality/comfort, what parts can i remove from the car to reduce un wanted weight, while still having it looking good and being comfy?

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I took 66kg out of mine...every night when I parked it up :D
I never really thought of the weight of people effecting the car. Mine must be mega slow cause i weigh just under 100kg

·
Premium Member
6,216 Posts
For comfort, leave everything from the middle B? pillar forward. Then everything behind that can go. Door cards, carpets, sound proofing, spare wheel (if your hardcore enough ;) put it back in for long/unknown journeys however...), general junk, seats, seatbelts.

If you can see it, and its got bolts, it can come out. Just be prepared for all the stuff you take out to use up alot of space in your garage/whatever. I put all the screws/fixings in freezer bags then taped them to the thing they held down for future useage.

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
By the sounds of it, a stripped out ZR will weigh much the same as a ZR express...maybe see if i can get a test drive in one and see if theres much difference

·
Premium Member
6,216 Posts
By the sounds of it, a stripped out ZR will weigh much the same as a ZR express...maybe see if i can get a test drive in one and see if theres much difference
Depends how hardcore you want to go... Strip the front out as well, get rid of everything. Essentially seats and a steering wheel.

Get rid of the standard seats as well as they weigh quite a bit. Some nice full buckets will do a better job and be half the weight. Wouldnt really want to drive a car like this all the time however, as the rattles and general noise would get to me big style.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.