MG ZR Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
don't think you can get it through bt line, believe that you have to have virgin phone to have it.

·
RIP MG ZR 03-13
8,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah you can. Previous bloke at my new place done it and ive just ordered it from them after being ****ed around by Sky. I had virgin at my old place but that was through there optical cable.

·
Registered
18,670 Posts
don't think you can get it through bt line, believe that you have to have virgin phone to have it.
Virgin when they didnt buy out NTL provided an ADSL connection
now they own NTL they provide both

One of the guys that works with me says he's not had any problems with ADSL Virgin

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I've got it in N.I. and while it's not bad (no real problems) i was asked no later than last night and it pained me to recommend BT themselves (ping rates appear to be better if you are looking to go gaming).

Apparently... when Virgin bought out NTL a while ago they bought NTL's headaches as well. 'Lil bro' (angry_muppet) should be able to tell you more.

·
Suck Me Beautiful
11,251 Posts
asdl is that the one that comes through the tv box?
nope - *dsl connections use a dedicated freq. on a BT phoneline (PSTN).

If you live in a Virgin cable area, they provide broadband over their coax/firbe optic network where you get true speeds

if you dont live in a cable area, they'll supply broadband via *dsl and your BT PSTN line. These connections, like all *dsl connections offer upto speeds (further from the exchange you is, slower your speed will be)

thats the basics anyways lol

·
Registered
392 Posts
Like arwilson80 says, Virgin are fine through a BT line. The only issue I have had is that the response times are about 150 - 200 ms, which is FAR too long to even attempt online games. It can take a while to download files and videos etc, but to be fair, I think the wireless only slows things down a little more as the second PC is at the extreme edge of wireless N capability. I'd guess with a wired connection it'd be ok.

I did call Virgin Customer Services a while ago to complain that it was very slow. Through a contact on an airsoft forum, I got a call from a senior engineer who was sympathetic to the issue. He advised that the sluggishness was a current "technical issue" which was being treated as a matter of urgency and should be resolved in the first half of this year (seems to have happened) and that they were going to clamp down on illegal P2P file sharing (in the news atm).

But the response time of theMGZR is still 100ms, which is too slow.

But that's NI... The rest of you can still get fiber-optic!

·
Registered
8,721 Posts
I was with Sky broadband for about a week, and their service is dire. In the evenings its as slow as 56k, and when i phoned up to explain this and try and get it resolved they said its because of peak times. So i went back to BT, which imo are the best ISP.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
All the lines are the same. Its like the railway system. The train owners etc dont own the tracks. They just 'use' them and pay for the usage etc. Same with the internet, BT, virgin etc dont 'own' lines, but all use the same etc.

·
Banned
14,285 Posts
All the lines are the same. Its like the railway system. The train owners etc dont own the tracks. They just 'use' them and pay for the usage etc. Same with the internet, BT, virgin etc dont 'own' lines, but all use the same etc.
Some have their own cable network!

·
Registered
8,721 Posts

·
Electric Turbo FTW!!!
683 Posts
My Virgin ADSL is fine i have it hooked up to wireless and have my xbox 360 online and my sis will be on the net and suffer from no lag or anything.

What happened with Virgin and NTL is NTL go such a bad name for **** customer service that they was loosing alot of business so Virgin offered to lend NTL the name Virgin Media as Virgin are renound for exceptional customer services so NTL use there name but any telewest, NTL, Virgin Media all pissing in the same pot. But all in all Virgin Media is still NTL under the name.

·
Electric Turbo FTW!!!
683 Posts
Some areas Virgin may rent Fibres but a Majority are Owned by Virgin Media/NTL as they was originally laid down by Diamond Cable which was baught out around year 2000 by NTL

1 - 20 of 23 Posts