MG ZR Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have had my MG ZR 160 for about 3 years now but recently it has started going through oil like crazy. I filled up the oil about 2 months ago because it was low then I had it serviced a month ago and they said it was low on oil so filled it up. I then checked the oil level about 2 weeks ago and it was half way down, I have now just checked again and its hardly got any in it. Surely I shouldn't be emptying the engine of oil once a month??? What would this normally indicate, am I close to something big going wrong with the engine?

Thanks for any help
Spy

·
Premium Member
3,732 Posts
Hello, how many miles your 160 has done? It could be a sign of worn valve stem seals which means you have to take the head off and fit new seals. So may aswell fit new valves and head at the same time. Does it smoke when booting it? Get a freind to stand behind while you rev it to 6000 rpm for signs of smoke.

·
Registered
12,564 Posts
High Miles could = burning oil, could be a leak or other items.

How many miles has the car done?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Hi,

Sorry to hear about this.

Could be either an oil leak (cam cover seal leaking etc). Check down each side of the engine and underneath for leaks. Could be burning oil (would see blue smoke haze or smell burning oil).

Oil can also get into the cooling system if you have had HGF. Check for mayo on your dipstick, I assume the oil thats left on the dipstick looks ok and isnt like mayo?

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Steve.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its done about 45,000 miles now.

There is some oil that you can see has come from the main engine block which is on the sides of it but I can't see that it's enough to keep emptying the engine of oil. I've never seen anything dripping on the drive from it either.

The oil on the dipstick looks fine, I will get someone to check for smoke with me tomorrow but I've not noticed anything before.

Thanks

·
Banned
8,794 Posts
in the morning, from cold, when starting, does it start, then build upto say, 1k revs, from around 2-300 then up etc?? or does it start and go straight to idle.

rocker cover,take that off, any oil in the plug holes?

·
Registered
3 Posts
hiya mate, would like to know if you find the reason behind it as mine is 3 yrs old with 33,000 on the clock and doing the same thing

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
in the morning, from cold, when starting, does it start, then build upto say, 1k revs, from around 2-300 then up etc?? or does it start and go straight to idle.

rocker cover,take that off, any oil in the plug holes?

Hi

I have noticed what you say once or twice where the car will struggle to start but when it gets up to 1k revs its fine.

I am in Dubai at the moment but when I'm back at the weekend I will check the plug holes etc. I might try and get a picture of it so you guys can take a look and see if you can see anything unexpected.

Cheers

·
Banned
8,794 Posts
Could be oil in the bores then. When you get back, as lightsabre sais, take out all of your spark plugs and examine them :) im suspecting you will find that one of them will be discoloured against the others. Make a note of which plug came from which hole.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts