MG ZR Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.

I had a 2004 MG ZR two years ago and miss it alot. Today I went to test drive a 2004 54 plate ZR 105+. It has 20,000 miles on the clock and one previous owner.

When I arrived at the garage it was parked around the back out of sight. The guy told me this was because it had a flat battery and he was charging it up. However took it out on a test drive and two warning lights were on all the time - the engine warning light and a red light saying SRS. Also the air vents on the dash were broken - only one fully intact.

Just wondering what people think - stay well clear? - anyone know of any reason why these lights would be on. The guy said he could get these things fixed.

Cheers.
Ad

·
Pumped yer Maw!
1,946 Posts
The srs light is to do with the air bag.... that may have been on due to faulty cables under the seats.... no idea why the eml would have been on, but imo hearing that I would say to stay well clear, or at least I would anyway!!

What price was he after?

·
Registered
4,936 Posts
well....my SRS light came on i just turned my ignition off and back on and it went away...but some ppl say its a plug under the drivers seat..and the engine managment light...i dunno..and the air vents..im sure u can replace them fair cheap! how much was it???

·
Registered
4,936 Posts
i would steer clear...for £5995 u can get a much better ZR than that!!
mines an 02 and i paid £2995!

·
Pumped yer Maw!
1,946 Posts
It may have low mileage, but for the condition it was in, and the price he's asking I'd stick by what I first thought and stay away from it mate!

Get one a few years older for less than half that price, alright the mileage may be doubled but all you gotta do is make sure you get FSH with it :D

·
Registered
11,424 Posts
cant believe you would even consider it, especially at that price!

sounds an absolute shed

·
Registered
583 Posts
Don't go anywhere near it, just for the fact that the battery was dead = possibly something wrong.

And then the SRS And EML lights were on might have something hidden.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
£6k is pretty much the max you'd be looking to pay for a zed. For £6k you could get a mint 160 VVC - http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/539590.htm

There are also others for thast price that have turbo conversions and have the standard mods (lowered etc.) done for you already.

If you post a few pics up people should be able to see if its worth £6k - as thats a lot for a zr nowadays.

·
Registered
962 Posts
He'd probably "fix them" by removing the bulbs out the dash. Air vents are common breaking on the m2's as they're made of crap cheapo plastic. Still alot of money though.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
SRS may be the rotory coupler inside the steering wheel, where the airbag cables can caff through because of how the steering wheel is molded. i had this probelm when i had my mk2 zr, although had it fix under warrenty were they replaced the steering wheel.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
i cant believe you would consider this either tbh. thats a LOT of money for a 105. SRS light is nothing and a common fault, heater vents... wont really cause a big problem but engine management light.. you never know what would be wrong with it.

i personally dont see a problem buying an older one for half the price (as someone has just said) and as long as its been looked after will be a much better car

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi.

I had a 2004 MG ZR two years ago and miss it alot. Today I went to test drive a 2004 54 plate ZR 105+. It has 20,000 miles on the clock and one previous owner.

When I arrived at the garage it was parked around the back out of sight. The guy told me this was because it had a flat battery and he was charging it up. However took it out on a test drive and two warning lights were on all the time - the engine warning light and a red light saying SRS. Also the air vents on the dash were broken - only one fully intact.

Just wondering what people think - stay well clear? - anyone know of any reason why these lights would be on. The guy said he could get these things fixed.

Cheers.
Ad
Im selling mine for £4900, its 54 reg, xpg 105. done 23.5k

1 - 15 of 15 Posts