MG ZR Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what the law is regarding the Rear No. Plate in the UK :-k . I've cut round the Characters on a spare set of plates with a band saw and the effect looks pretty sweet but I aint gonna fit it if I get pulled all the time. Theres still plenty of the Yellow reflective area but its shaped round the letters and no's. Any Thoughts???

·
Registered
73 Posts
Law states that the number plate has to be the correct size, including the reflective part, so think your asking to be pulled

·
Slacker Industries
10,951 Posts
Actually.....i read that as long as the letters are the correct font type and size...according to the law....the plate can be any size or shape within reason...like those number plates that are new....with NO plate and just the official size lettering....

Not 100% however as i havent read the actual legislation....but ive seen em advertised in car mags...and are apparently totally legal!

·
Wannabe Photoshop Guru
1,584 Posts
why wud u wanna cut round the letters? i saw that on a car one..looked well gay...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hincey said:
why wud u wanna cut round the letters? i saw that on a car one..looked well gay...
Fair enough, just bored of the regular plates. Just wanna try different things, aint that the point?

Been on the DVLA site - fairly vague, but does mention that the plate supplier and their contact details must be visible so that messes the idea up anyway.

·
Wannabe Photoshop Guru
1,584 Posts
do u have a pic?

stil...i reckon its as bad as the rover 75 big ass number plate...

·
Wannabe Photoshop Guru
1,584 Posts
hmm...not really feeling it...u probs need some mad graphics goin down the side to make it more subtle and fit in...you did get a spare number plate yeah?????

·
Registered
7,457 Posts
ZED ARRR said:
Yeah I have - I'm still undecided gonna probably leave it for now.
fonts are legal , spacing is legal i dont see a problem with it personally but i m not a plod , will tell you they are cracking down on incorrectly spaced number plates (we had a letter warning us to change ours last week),im told that all forces have been issued number plate recognition vehicles ,which was developed originally to help detect terrorists /unregistered /foreigh cars in the big cities, but the problem is this multi million pound system cant read the plates when spaced incorrectly!!! . £30.00 fixed penalty so ultimately your choice but easily readable ,no change of characters ,fonts etc .good luck with what you decide

·
Registered
73 Posts
What don't you take it down your local cop shop and ask, then if they say its ok get them to do you a letter and keep it in your car

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have a set of plates on my car from gtgraphics.com and they are risen carbon fibre digits! They look really cool and have that 3d look!

Check out my profile, as there is a picture showing them!

·
Banned
14,285 Posts
GIL5294 said:
Actually.....i read that as long as the letters are the correct font type and size...according to the law....the plate can be any size or shape within reason...like those number plates that are new....with NO plate and just the official size lettering....

Not 100% however as i havent read the actual legislation....but ive seen em advertised in car mags...and are apparently totally legal!
I think Gils right!! And with regards to the num plate supplier, i just have a lil tiny code on mine, not the whole company name!! And this was from a well known supplier!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
drcue i like your plates, fancy a pair myself - whats the web address i've tried ww.gtgraphics.co.uk and it was a domain seller!! Also tried searchin in google - no joy.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts