MG ZR Forums banner

Tyre Pressures?

873 views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  chelsea_blue 
#1 ·
Bought my zed 105 two weeks ago. Checked the tyre pressures at the weekend (205/50 R16) and found they were all about 32 when the book says 28F and 26R. I've dropped the pressures down to what the book recommends and I don't know if it's my imagination or not, but it feels like I've lost a bit of road-grip?

Advice welcomed!

Cheers
Ade

#3 ·
It depends on when you checked them mate. If you checked them after driving a few miles to the local garage then your tyres would have heated up and the psi reading will be higher. They may have only been 28-29psi when cold.

So you've taken them down from 32 to 28 at the garage with nice warm tyres and the next morning when they're cold they may only read 25psi.

Or did you check them when they were cold with your own pressure gauge??

I used to run 32psi all round in my ZR160.

#4 ·
Mitchy said:
It depends on when you checked them mate. If you checked them after driving a few miles to the local garage then your tyres would have heated up and the psi reading will be higher. They may have only been 28-29psi when cold.

So you've taken them down from 32 to 28 at the garage with nice warm tyres and the next morning when they're cold they may only read 25psi.

Or did you check them when they were cold with your own pressure gauge??

I used to run 32psi all round in my ZR160.
No, I did check with my own gauge and they were cold. Do you think i should put a tad more in than the book pressures then?

#5 ·
Mine are running about 30 all round (32 when warm) - its what I was told by the dealer...

I have to hold my hand up and admit I havnt checked the book though!

I can usually tell when a tyre has lost a bit of pressure by the car handling changing, so put it back up again?

I also heard (but again, not checked) that faster driving and heavier loads require a higher psi than the book states for normal driving?

#10 ·
we had this discussion b4 and if i remember correctly (which i prob don't, lol) 31 psi is not the amount of air in the tyre its the pressure that its pumped upto.

So when i had new wheels coz the tyres were alot smaller i thought i'd have less air in em (which i do) but the psi is still the sdame!!!

Hope that makes sense!!

:hiding:

#11 ·
ZRVic said:
we had this discussion b4 and if i remember correctly (which i prob don't, lol) 31 psi is not the amount of air in the tyre its the pressure that its pumped upto.

So when i had new wheels coz the tyres were alot smaller i thought i'd have less air in em (which i do) but the psi is still the sdame!!!

Hope that makes sense!!

:hiding:
I think it does ... :book:

Thanks
Ade

#12 ·
Tyre pressure WTF is that.... :mrgreen:

I put some in my tyres once, didnt have a clue, then my dad checked em ages ago think there was about 36 in there or something, but he went bloody mad thats for sure...LOL...

Think i need to check em tho :wallb: Havent done it for ages :guns:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.