MG ZR Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello im new, how are yous?

anyways i got a 105, was wondering what sort of max tuning potential i could get out of it? (without supercharger)

i have heard that some sort of uprated throttle bodies can almost double bhp(bout 80 bhp but costs bout 1.5k)!!! true?

thanx in advance :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,564 Posts
looking at around 2k to go from 101bhp to around 125bhp. that will full zorst, induction and ported etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,684 Posts
ZR 105 (1.4) **

Std HP
103

New HP
125

£1701.28


Janspeed Kit - Exhaust & Intake Systems

In conjunction with Janspeed, a number of X-Power performance enhancing kits have been specifically developed for the ZR and TF ranges.
These give an improvement in power and torque across the rev-range resulting in better acceleration, more immediate throttle response and smoother all-round operation. In each case the standard airbox is replaced by a high flow carbon fibre induction kit similar to those used in BTCC applications, and exhaust flow improvements are made via a bespoke tuned length 4-2-1 tubular manifold, a competition catalyst and a stainless steel free-flow exhaust system with a sports silencer and twin76mm tailpipes.

Where a modified cylinder head is included in the kit, this has been gas-flowed using port profiles and sizes developed on Janspeeds flow benches.
blurb :p
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,364 Posts
heres what u can do....

air filter, BMC/piperX - 4bhp - £150-£250
backbox blueflame/janspeed/xpower - 6bhp - £100-£300
full zorst system janspeed/xpower - 22bhp £as above
fast road cams and vernier pullies - 10-15bhp - £400
port and polish - 10-15bhp - £800? i think (inc a new head was it gunny who had his done on here?)
ECU Remap (chipping) - 12bhp - £250
"160" 52mm thottle body - maybe 1 or 2bhp - £150 improves acceleration and midrange pickup rather than power
NoS - 25-75bhp - £1200 (and before any of u ppl start chuckin cheaper prices up for nos this is an entire system price inc progressive controllers and safety microswitches which are needed when using nos cos we all know what happens when u unload it in neutral) note: anything over 25bhp will require an uprated clutch

think thats about it for the 105 theres obviously other small things you can do ie new collant hoses to aid colling the engine and weight reduction, rip everything rear of the handbrake out thats good for about 2bhp lol after the engine you should be looking at the suspension etc to improve handling and subsequently performance!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,042 Posts
nitr0genics said:
heres what u can do....

air filter, BMC/piperX - 4bhp - £150-£250
backbox blueflame/janspeed/xpower - 6bhp - £100-£300
full zorst system janspeed/xpower - 22bhp £as above
fast road cams and vernier pullies - 10-15bhp - £400
port and polish - 10-15bhp - £800? i think (inc a new head was it gunny who had his done on here?)
ECU Remap (chipping) - 12bhp - £250
"160" 52mm thottle body - maybe 1 or 2bhp - £150 improves acceleration and midrange pickup rather than power
NoS - 25-75bhp - £1200 (and before any of u ppl start chuckin cheaper prices up for nos this is an entire system price inc progressive controllers and safety microswitches which are needed when using nos cos we all know what happens when u unload it in neutral) note: anything over 25bhp will require an uprated clutch

think thats about it for the 105 theres obviously other small things you can do ie new collant hoses to aid colling the engine and weight reduction, rip everything rear of the handbrake out thats good for about 2bhp lol after the engine you should be looking at the suspension etc to improve handling and subsequently performance!
he knows his shit dose out craig
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,564 Posts
full zorst system janspeed/xpower - 22bhp £as above

thats inc gas flowed head and induction kit thou.
 

·
X-ZR Owner
Joined
·
1,120 Posts
nitr0genics said:
(and before any of u ppl start chuckin cheaper prices up for nos this is an entire system price inc progressive controllers and safety microswitches which are needed when using nos cos we all know what happens when u unload it in neutral)
Banggoes the manifold!!!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,364 Posts
Blade said:
nitr0genics said:
(and before any of u ppl start chuckin cheaper prices up for nos this is an entire system price inc progressive controllers and safety microswitches which are needed when using nos cos we all know what happens when u unload it in neutral)
Banggoes the manifold!!!
CORRECT! id give u a cigar but i didnt buy any off lou when she went to cuba :D
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,364 Posts
while im here i might aswell put up a side note i forgot to mention

that little lot up there will cost quite a pretty penny and tbh isnt worth doing it when you can do a 220 turbo T-Series (tomcat) conversion for around the 3k mark inc ZR160/ZS180 discs all round

not bad and you'll have a 2.0l turbo'd ZR with a relative 200-250bhp at the wheels

and of course after that theres lots of turbo goodies and extras about for a T-Series turbo engine
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
890 Posts
nitr0genics said:
that little lot up there will cost quite a pretty penny and tbh isnt worth doing it when you can do a 220 turbo T-Series (tomcat) conversion for around the 3k mark inc ZR160/ZS180 discs all round
Where's that from? i know RSM will do the conversion for that, but they won't put the larger brakes on, just the 220 (262mm) ones on.

nitr0genics said:
not bad and you'll have a 2.0l turbo'd ZR with a relative 200-250bhp at the wheels
Never seen a standard engine make 200 at the wheels. Around 190 at the fly standard. Modded, you'll make around 210bhp with filter and exhaust. 280bhp at the fly will make around 250 at the wheels. You'll need to spend around £7000+ on the engine to get that.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,364 Posts
think it was gold rover who mention'd the relative power once n i just assumed it to be correct as he's done it a few times,

and as for price i did say around the 3k mark, for everything inc discs u need to find a cheap supplier of discs etc to do the conversion then get RSM or someone else to convert so if you get the right prices its gonna cost between 3 n 4k
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
73 Posts
nitr0genics said:
while im here i might aswell put up a side note i forgot to mention

that little lot up there will cost quite a pretty penny and tbh isnt worth doing it when you can do a 220 turbo T-Series (tomcat) conversion for around the 3k mark inc ZR160/ZS180 discs all round

not bad and you'll have a 2.0l turbo'd ZR with a relative 200-250bhp at the wheels

and of course after that theres lots of turbo goodies and extras about for a T-Series turbo engine
Can this conversion also be done to a 160? if so, can someone explain what happen's in the conversion process? is it a complete new engine or do they just alter the exsisting one?

Also, would the power increase from the 160 to this be worth the cash?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,364 Posts
yes can be done to a 160 basically ull have the wiring loom and engine swapped, cost the same, worth it, in most cases yes because the turbo engine is more modifiable, the 160 has very little power left in to tweak properly
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
73 Posts
nitr0genics said:
yes can be done to a 160 basically ull have the wiring loom and engine swapped, cost the same, worth it, in most cases yes because the turbo engine is more modifiable, the 160 has very little power left in to tweak properly
Can you tell me which companies I need to talk to about this then?

Cheers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
890 Posts
nitr0genics said:
think it was gold rover who mention'd the relative power once n i just assumed it to be correct as he's done it a few times,
Bless Wayne :D he went to Hi Tech in dudley, where there rollers are so way out, a 1.2 nova could get 200bhp ;)
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top