MG ZR Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Im picking up my ZR 160 on wednesday and Tesco insurance want me to get a tracker fitted to mar car before it will be covered on theft. I will be changing insurance companies in a few months whin i have my 5th year of no claims.

Does anyone know of any good alarms that are Cat 1 an thay replace the key fob for as the 160 im getting only has the old style rover one not the nice mg one that i have at the moment on my 105.

The pre 03 alarms are not as good and i would like a good secure upgrade.

Have you got a Toad [email protected]?

Steve

·
Registered
36 Posts
What about the Clifford Intelliguard 950 ? That alarms supposed to be spot on. Guess it depends on your budget really as that retails at approx. £500 Features include remote engine start and dual prox. sensor though

Check out their website. Not sure a tracker comes as standard though. That might be extra and at quite some cost too depending on tracker type

·
Registered
556 Posts
I'd go with a Toad over Clifford these days. More reliable and less false alarms.

The tracker part will make a difference to your premium, but don't expect a CAT1 alarm to have any affect at all.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Just had a Clifford Intelliguard 950 fitted to my 160 well worth the money. Had a chat to my mate who works with car alarms he suggested i go for the clifford as they are less likely to go wrong, he says toads tend to go abit funny after a year or two and cost a fortune to get them removed.

Also when i bought mine i got a life time gaurentee with the alarm, i also had some extras fitted such as intelli start, head light activation and boot release. Only thing is it doesnt come with a tracker.Happy hunting

·
Registered
556 Posts
alzsummers said:
he suggested i go for the clifford as they are less likely to go wrong, he says toads tend to go abit funny after a year or two and cost a fortune to get them removed.
That goes against every fitter I knows opinion and everything that is borne out on forums.

Toad is by far the more reliable these days, and has all of the features that Clifford offer. Both have lifetime guarantees.

Oh, and be warned that intellistart invalidates most insurance policies. Think it is the only feature either offer that does though.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
I would go with the Toad Ai606 with anti Hijack. I had one fitted to my 160 last year and its a great alarm and much better then my old clifford. The installer who did mine said that Toad are taking over from clifford as the market leader. I had sensors put on my wheels which detects vibration i.e if anyone trys to steal your alloys. I had an installer come out to my house and fit mine, they did a great job and fully thatcham approved with certificate etc. I had a Clifford Concept on my old 306 and I always got false alarms as it works on one micro sensor, where as the toads work on ultrasonic sensors. My m8 had a clifford and we did a short test last summer, left his windows open and set the alarm. I then reached in and the thing didnt go off until I waived about like a mad man!! With the Toad as soon as a window is broken it will go off so its more secure.

Also try Adrian Flux insurance all they require is a cat 1 alarm no tracker and great on price.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I had a Toad AI606 on my VW polo....... WICKED ALARMS!! Had it fittest by Dynamic sounds in camberwell green cost me about £250. :up:

·
Registered
141 Posts

Oh, and be warned that intellistart invalidates most insurance policies. Think it is the only feature either offer that does though.[/quote]

Thats only if the people who fit your alarm put it down on the certificate!!,or you tell your insurance company that you have one fitted. And who tells the insurance company every thing they have done to there car?? :zip: :wohow:

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
alzsummers said:

Oh, and be warned that intellistart invalidates most insurance policies. Think it is the only feature either offer that does though.
Thats only if the people who fit your alarm put it down on the certificate!!,or you tell your insurance company that you have one fitted. And who tells the insurance company every thing they have done to there car?? :zip: :wohow:[/quote]

and if in case of a claim your insurance is invalid and you can be proscuted for fraud

·
Registered
556 Posts
That is true, if the car gets stolen and recovered stripped out and they find it they will refuse to pay you out.

Flux use Highway as the underwriter as do Chris Knott.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts