MG ZR Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How tight should the belt be, as I have had my head done but the **** refitted the old belts.
Anyway the timing belt should be replaced at 90,000 miles or 6 years and mine has only done 40,100 miles but the belt seams a little tight is there a easy check?

·
Rolling on 18s
579 Posts
im having my head and timing/cam belt done on my zr the heads not gone but my mates got no work on at mo so hes charging me £250 and that includes a brand new head and thats to do both jobs plus other little bits, mines done 47k and the belt needs changing at around 60k mate

·
Premium Member
31,424 Posts
How tight should the belt be, as I have had my head done but the **** refitted the old belts.
Anyway the timing belt should be replaced at 90,000 miles or 6 years and mine has only done 40,100 miles but the belt seams a little tight is there a easy check?
So you have taken the covers off to check the tension of the cam belt ?

It can't squeal as said above and if it was slipping your zr would not be running :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
im having my head and timing/cam belt done on my zr the heads not gone but my mates got no work on at mo so hes charging me £250 and that includes a brand new head and thats to do both jobs plus other little bits, mines done 47k and the belt needs changing at around 60k mate
It sez in the Rover/MG offical service bunf 90.000 or 6 year for a non VVT engine. So where did 60,000 come from?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So you have taken the covers off to check the tension of the cam belt ?

It can't squeal as said above and if it was slipping your zr would not be running :)
Yes I checked the belt and it seamed a bit tight.

I work on my m8s motorcycle motors Ducati, Aprilia etc which have timing belts and have to be bang on or the motor is scrap but not used to car engines I have done a couple of CVH Ford engines and they are not that tight.

Also if you run your finger over the top of the belt there are slight undulations which makes me feel it's being pulled to tight.

On anouther note I have data on Aprilia's some if you need info i'll try to help mainly RSV's.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.