MG ZR Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does upgrading the throttle body upgrade a rover 84ps to a 103ps version

Somehow i dont think that its simply the throttle body that gives you an extra 20 bhp ?? any ideas ...

Between the rover 25 ( 84ps ) and the mg 105 ( 103ps ) what are the differences.

I no this has been asked a lot but i want to get a proper answer as theres a lot of confusion round this topic.

cheers

·
Registered
12,564 Posts
TB wont increace BHP. it just improves the responce i think the 105 is more tuned not shure if diff ecu

·
Registered
556 Posts
Changing the throtle body and cable on the 83ps engine will indeed add 20bhp to the car and make it the same as the 103ps version.

There is no confusion whatsoever over this subject has it has been proven many times. The ECU and engine internals etc are all the same.

A restricted airflow can make a huge difference to the power an engine can make.

·
Registered
12,564 Posts
Stu said:
Changing the throtle body and cable on the 83ps engine will indeed add 20bhp to the car and make it the same as the 103ps version.

There is no confusion whatsoever over this subject has it has been proven many times. The ECU and engine internals etc are all the same.

A restricted airflow can make a huge difference to the power an engine can make.
but the 105 TB isnt a 52mm TB?

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
from what ive heard the tb on the 84ps has a plastic piece in it to stop the tb opening........ remove that peice of plastic and change the cable and you have a 103 engine!

·
Registered
556 Posts
hob said:
but the 105 TB isnt a 52mm TB?
No one has mentioned the 52mm throttle body apart from you.

The 83ps engine is a 48mm throttle body that is restricted in the way the butterfly can open. It only goes 3/4 of the way, hence starving the engine of air and reducing the power.

You can indeed chop out the plastic stops, but the throttle cable still only alows it to open 90% of the way, so you will get most, but not all of the gains.

Replacing the throttle body (either 105 48mm one or 160 52mm) along with the cable will give to the same power as the 105 engine.

Does that clear it up?

·
Registered
12,564 Posts
MgZr said:
so whats the diffence achieved when putting a 52mm on a zr 105 ?
none, "improved" throttle responce i think. a little :mrsmiley: that what i thought the question was #-o

·
Registered
187 Posts
i thought the question was the differnce between the rover 25's 84ps engine and the 105 103ps i must of picked up wrong . anyways cheers for the help .

·
Registered
12,564 Posts
MgZr said:
i thought the question was the differnce between the rover 25's 84ps engine and the 105 103ps i must of picked up wrong . anyways cheers for the help .
it is :D i thought it was what diff will fitting a larger tb make

·
Registered
2 Posts
A lot of dust on this one :laugh:

One question whats is the difference between a 48 mm and a 52 mm throttle body on a ZR 105?
What do you feel? More torque? more hp? fuel saving?

·
Registered
13,694 Posts
Loss of power.

People will disagree but I've seen proof otherwise.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
105 TB = 48MM

160 TB = 52mm

I have a 52 on my 105, I seemed to lost touqe at lower revs but pulls better at higher revs. The car seemed to run out of steam before.

Tbh, i prefer to tuning Carbed cars, no ECu's to get in the way.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts