MG ZR Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just for a larf I calculated my fuel consumption for the last tank (on the basis I fill up at about the same point and re-set the trip computer, nothing too flash).

The result - 32 mpg.... 32! WTF is going on? Normal usage is 20 miles to work and back Mon-Fri, including a a stretch on the Mway and some poodling at weekends.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Just for a larf I calculated my fuel consumption for the last tank (on the basis I fill up at about the same point and re-set the trip computer, nothing too flash).

The result - 32 mpg.... 32! WTF is going on? Normal usage is 20 miles to work and back Mon-Fri, including a a stretch on the Mway and some poodling at weekends.
Ok, that is serious rubbish. When I bought mine, the car was getting around 36-37 miles per gallon. After some key modifications, I was able to achieve 50 mpg on average, with around +55 for motorway journeys. I'm not light footed!

Things to think about doing:

Check the MAF
Clean the air intake system
Remap
Check tire pressure
Check air filter

·
Premium Member
4,596 Posts
Does sound like you have something wrong there mate my 53plate Td can easily get between 40 and 50+mpg.At the moment I have just under half a tank of juice left and I have done over 300 miles so far.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, that is serious rubbish. When I bought mine, the car was getting around 36-37 miles per gallon. After some key modifications, I was able to achieve 50 mpg on average, with around +55 for motorway journeys. I'm not light footed!

Things to think about doing:

Check the MAF
Clean the air intake system
Remap
Check tire pressure
Check air filter
Cheers Doc. Already on the first one, as fitted a Pierburgh and MAFAM about six weeks ago. Have re-set this to about the 12 o'clock position to start with.

Got a guide for the second?

Re-map...how easy is this?

4th it shouldn't be, I keep pretty on top of this, but will have butcher's anyway.

Have been considering a filters/glowplugs/oil change (as the last service interval isn't 100% accurately documented), so this could easily be job the next.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Cheers Doc. Already on the first one, as fitted a Pierburgh and MAFAM about six weeks ago. Have re-set this to about the 12 o'clock position to start with.

Got a guide for the second?

Re-map...how easy is this?

4th it shouldn't be, I keep pretty on top of this, but will have butcher's anyway.

Have been considering a filters/glowplugs/oil change (as the last service interval isn't 100% accurately documented), so this could easily be job the next.
Cleaning the air intake system makes a huge difference. With the egr system, it leaves large carbon deposits within the air intake manifold. When I did mine, I had aboue 3mm of carbon built up on the walls that really constricted air flow. To clean it, caustic soda is particularly good but slightly discolors the AL. It is found in oven cleaner, but the pure stuff does not smell. You will need something to scrap as much carbon off as possible. Something like a flexible long thin putty knife and loads of degreaser. The best bet is to soak the manifold overnight to let the caustic soda do most of the work.

You will also need an inlet manifold / air intake pipe gasket (about £5 from Rimmer Bros).

Once you are ready, try to take the inlet manifold off, but dont touch nuts on the exhaust manifold. I will post some instructions on how to remove it simply in the how to section when you are ready.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Cleaning the air intake system makes a huge difference. With the egr system, it leaves large carbon deposits within the air intake manifold. When I did mine, I had aboue 3mm of carbon built up on the walls that really constricted air flow. To clean it, caustic soda is particularly good but slightly discolors the AL. It is found in oven cleaner, but the pure stuff does not smell. You will need something to scrap as much carbon off as possible. Something like a flexible long thin putty knife and loads of degreaser. The best bet is to soak the manifold overnight to let the caustic soda do most of the work.

You will also need an inlet manifold / air intake pipe gasket (about £5 from Rimmer Bros).

Once you are ready, try to take the inlet manifold off, but dont touch nuts on the exhaust manifold. I will post some instructions on how to remove it simply in the how to section when you are ready.
Got a Noddy to Big Ears guide for where to locate the items to be cleaned, and what parts need to be removed etc.?

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update:

Having gone through a full (i.e. annual) service, I'm still struggling to top 360 miles, in tank range terms. So I'm quite worried now, and think it can only be the intake or something none of us have thought of...

:crazy:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.