MG ZR Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my MGZR 105 when first started I get an awful tap tap tap from the tappets is this anything to worried about and can I take them to a garage to be adjusted
Many thanks
Gary

·
Banned
14,285 Posts
get it in asap and u wanna hope u got warrenty.......almost certain to b pistons/liners....common zr fault unfortuanatly

·
1,443 Posts
Hydraulic tappets are supposed to be noisy. After a spirited drive mines would be very noisy, in the morning when first starting up they would be a lot quieter.

Garage said it was completely normal, although im unsure of the 1.4 engine, its completely normal on the 1.8vvc.

If a piston goes, you'll know about it.

·
Banned
14,285 Posts
well if its loud enough to worry about then its worth taking it in imo.......i thought mine was tappets (yes i might be a girl but i'm not stupid, lol) but i was wrong......and its now suspected for the second time which is prob gonna result in a new engine!!!

it is a common fault and the design was changed in later models to try and rectify it!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hartlepool
You may of seen mine it's midnight blue lexus rear clusters tinted windows 1600 front bumper one off rear defuser and side skirts Evo bonnet vent

·
Banned
14,285 Posts
16,000 miles with no warrenty?? hell do u not drive ur car anywhere?lol

well i was told that the time to watch out for is when its cold...if its a loud tapping rather than a knocking i'd get it looked at!

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Mitchy said:
Hydraulic tappets are supposed to be noisy. After a spirited drive mines would be very noisy, in the morning when first starting up they would be a lot quieter.

Garage said it was completely normal, although im unsure of the 1.4 engine, its completely normal on the 1.8vvc.

If a piston goes, you'll know about it.
Same here had my 160 in the garage last week to have a pipe replaced and got them to check the engine. They told me it was normal for a VVC engine and worse when cold. I just drown out the sound with my Xpower exhaust anyway :up:

·
Registered
242 Posts
It's normal when cold till the hydraulic tappets pump upto full pressure, it should go away after a short time though. My 105 does sound noisier when its been stood for a couple of days, which I'm guessing yours does or has done if its only got 16k on it and the warranty has expired?

·
Registered
85 Posts
i'm now on my second engine because my dealer told me to ignore my loud tappets. I would take your car in and get it checked.. you might want to say the words "piston slap" and they will quake in their little boots. If your engine does have piston slap like my first one did then you will need liners etc changing and an engine rebuild like vic said.

just get it checked by your dealer.. its not nice having your engine go into meltdown on the m1 at 2 am in the morning!!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
i had the same sound coming from my car with 13 000 miles on it, they replaced the ecu and it seems to be fine now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts