MG ZR Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As above,

How much has it cost you all? Not including a big break upgrade, or any "extras" like that. How much does it actually cost to acquire a decent T16 engine, and put it into a ZR to a fully working standard, including engine oil and gaskets and such? Im not looking for labour costs, just the actual parts, tools and such required?

·
Registered
5,209 Posts
As above,

How much has it cost you all? Not including a big break upgrade, or any "extras" like that. How much does it actually cost to acquire a decent T16 engine, and put it into a ZR to a fully working standard, including engine oil and gaskets and such? Im not looking for labour costs, just the actual parts, tools and such required?
Not telling ;)

·
Registered
5,209 Posts
Lol, thats alright...im only looking for the cost of one transplant, not 4 lol
Im only kidding ;)

Right.......................

Complete Rover T-series turbo engine (ideally from a 220 coupe turbo): £150-£500
220 gearbox + gearbox mount: £150-£200
220 gearbox backing plate: £30-£50
220 gearbox selector arm and shifter: £10-£20
220 intercooler: £20-£30
220 radiator + fans and wiring: £30-£60
220 engine loom and ECU (needs to match the flywheel): £20-£50 (£50+ if ECU has been decoded)
220 driveshafts: £50-£80
220 turbo downpipe: £20-£30
220 front crossmember: £10-£20
220 rear subframe + engine mounts: £30-£45
220 timing side engine mount (both bits off the block and the chassis): £20-£30
220 front engine steady + engine mount: £20-£30
All 220 coolant + boost hoses: £20

All based on used prices! :yes:

:)

·
Registered
8,474 Posts
buy a donor car like i have, so far iv spent the following (this is only rough though as i havent gone thru all my receips though)

donor car: 550
paying to get rear engine mount welded: 60
new head gasket and bolts: about 60-70 iirc
couple of sockets and other tools that i needed: about 30
custom power steering pipe: 30

everything else has been upgrades like full gearbox rebuild and new clutch, silicon hoses etc at the minute. then theres oil, gearbox oil and power steering fluid to be added, so account another 60-70 quid for that.

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It sounds like it works out to be rather cheap...

·
Registered
8,474 Posts
it does if u want the straight conversion, but not if u want to do it properly or make it look pretty

iv spent over 400 quid on the gearbox and clutch alone
over 230 quid on silicon bits
130 quid (ish)on other stuff like boost controller, engine mount stabiliser and HT leads
60 quid ish on a new coil
200 quid on polybushes

so theres over a grand there in upgrades and extras alone, some of which will make the conversion more reliable and somewhat safer.

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
why not just have a look in AAautosports forum section :D
i have looked but what they offer is the customer to supply the full doner car and they do the rest, which isnt really what im after.

·
Registered
8,474 Posts
im thinking of doing this eventually to mine, whats the crack with polybushing, what are they needed for, like how you replaced other older bits with these
standard bushes are made of a rubber compound, which has a lot of flex in it, as an example, your anti roll bar ones for example. the point behind the ARB is to stop body roll, but by having crappy rubber bushes, they flex, which obviously allows the body to move. By fitting polyeurethene ones you are fitted a compound a lot harder with less flex, giving less roll. The same rules apply for all the other bushes, such as the brake reaction bar ones, also known as the "anti torque steer" bushes, which do exactly what they say, they stop the wheels squirming under high torque.

i have looked but what they offer is the customer to supply the full doner car and they do the rest, which isnt really what im after.
it really would be in ur best interests to buy a full donor car mate, at least that way u can buy one running and test it to make sure its not a nail :)

·
Premium Member
3,616 Posts
That's more what we recommend. To put a price up without knowing exacly what one might want is a difficult game.

Buying an engine from say ebay, without hearing it run and just fitting it would obviously be much cheaper for us to do, but then on your head be it if the engine turns out to be a dud.

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OH yeah, totally understand what your guys (Ade and superspy) are saying about buying a donor car. Was just meaning that AA's price is based on them doing labour which isnt something im after (i think) quite fancy having a go at it myself then if i run into problems ill chuck it on a trailor and take it to the experts.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
OH yeah, totally understand what your guys (Ade and superspy) are saying about buying a donor car. Was just meaning that AA's price is based on them doing labour which isnt something im after (i think) quite fancy having a go at it myself then if i run into problems ill chuck it on a trailor and take it to the experts.
in that case talk to superspy lol but i would advise you to keep in close contact with AAautosport as you will most likely get stuck somewhere along the way.

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah just looking for an idea of total cost, to budget it out and start saving. Reckon ill do it when im 21, so got about a year and a half to go.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.