MG ZR Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was wondering if any of u guys have one how much do thay cost ive seen some on ebay but thay look a bit dodgy also what bhp has it put on your car and does it kill the petrol i have a 105

·
Registered
446 Posts
Avoid the thing on ebay or you will prob blow up your car, go to uni chip or dastech for a ecu chip, a few members have them and dastek claim to increase bhp from 105 to 126?.... and 0-60 in 8.5 or something like that, all only claimed though.
Liamspiers has his chiped.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
have been looking a lot recently myself and most places claim they can get a 105 to around 112-115bhp which seems pretty good to me :up:

·
Registered
775 Posts
Super chips are ok but give limited gains , i use the uni chip which can be remapped everytime you add a mod to the engine, on there own any chip is pritty sad on increase in bhp , my uni chip came in to its own when i had the sports cat /exhaust /fillter and the head reworked now it has given some good figures/ cams to come in january and the uni chip can be mapped again , it was £500 fitted give or take a few pounds but at least it can be remapped every time you mod,

·
Registered
556 Posts
The superchips can be remapped everytime as well. Infact if you get the cable you can download the software to do it yourself.

Nearly all of them can be home mapped if you can get the cable and software.

·
Registered
775 Posts
may be they have changed then cause i paid £300 on my golf gti and that was it could not be remaped and that was the Superchip company ??????

·
Registered
556 Posts
Nope, nothing has changed. It just used to be difficult to get the leads and software. That is the only real difference.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
some of the superchips are just a single remap for the ignition timing. for most older cars they nly provide a quick fix chip, which is NOT remappable.

superchips for the ZR are the same.

i would say go for the uni chip or the emeraldM3D.
Both of these chips are fully remappable for each mod and are gaurenteed to give the best gains.

·
Registered
556 Posts
They are ALL remappable. Granted some of the very early ones needed a ROM burner, but these are freely available.

Not for the faint hearted, but perfectly possible.

I have done this exact procedure for a friends 1992 Golf, so it is possible.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
but its pointless trying to remap the super chip for the zr cause it only changes the ignition timing.

that was from my local superchips dealer.

·
Registered
556 Posts
You can remap it for the mods you do. It is not necessary for all of the mods as some will not require it.

Usually the best course is to do the major mods (induction, exhaust, porting etc) and then get it remapped the once.

The thing to remember is that once you remapp the car with something like a Dastek, Unichip etc you will be removing some of the adaptability that the Mems3 ECU has built in for fuel maps etc.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
if u do that what does that mean and wheres the nearest place i can get it done beside newcastle and how much around about are they and ruffly how much bhp will it puit on me car

·
Registered
556 Posts
Best look at the options first and where they are (or have dealers).

It will be cheaper to go for a company that is local and can remap the ECU. Like Dastek, Unichip etc.

More expensive and flexible are the ECU replacements like Emerald, DTA etc

What mods have you already done to the car?

Expect no more the 5-7bhp from a remap on the 105. All of the before and after plots (same day) I have seen show this to be the norm. Any claims higher than this, you need to be sceptical and request the proof.

·
Registered
775 Posts
jonnaz
that was wot i got told they were basic and could only be set up as a whole unit with no way of enhancing one part of the engine,unlike the uni chip that can remaped any part of the cars system to any spec, and so far with 4 runs on the rollers in the last few months the uni chip seams to be worth the extra few £££, and the superchip on my GTI was not remapable at all and belive me i took it every where to get it done,

Stu
i really would not advise anyone to remap there own car from a pc at home :wallb: cause you carnt get a full picture unless you see it running on the rollers through the full rev range and speed range, its not a case of more fuel hit the UP arrow for less hit the DOWN LOL

·
Registered
556 Posts
Z00M said:
Stu
i really would not advise anyone to remap there own car from a pc at home :wallb: cause you carnt get a full picture unless you see it running on the rollers through the full rev range and speed range, its not a case of more fuel hit the UP arrow for less hit the DOWN LOL

True to a degree. Most can be mapped on the fly, so you do get to see it throughout the rev range, and with the real air flow. You do really need a wide band lamda fittd to do this though. I have a far better map on my car than Superchips could ever have supplied without weeks on the rollers.

I have the benefit of living down the road from Hethel as well.

maybe not a job for anyone as you suggest.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts