MG ZR Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Anyone know if ill need to replace/upgrade any components such as battery/alternator on my 1.4 - if i am to fit an Alpine mrd-m1005 amp powering an Audiobahn sub. i think the amp is meant to kick out 1000Wrms and i am planning on using 4 gauge power cable.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cheers evil berto! - secondly, would the above setup be a big improvement on what i used to have (2 Alpine 12" S Types and a 300Wrms Amp), bearing in mind i will only have one sub this time round. For big bass, is it the wattage or the surface area of the cones or both. Im not looking for SPL in particularly, just a 'kin decent sound!

·
sideshow bob
9,834 Posts
cheers evil berto! - secondly, would the above setup be a big improvement on what i used to have (2 Alpine 12" S Types and a 300Wrms Amp), bearing in mind i will only have one sub this time round. For big bass, is it the wattage or the surface area of the cones or both. Im not looking for SPL in particularly, just a 'kin decent sound!
its all about the box ;)

·
sideshow bob
9,834 Posts
as in the size of the box internal dimensions?
yeah if you want big bass you want a ported box, and each sub has its own preference in terms of volume. So read the "reccomended enclosure" in the instructions when you buy the speaker.

You might find with a 12 it'll want anywhere between 2.5cu ft and 4cu ft. All depends on the sub and how much it likes to drop.

Similarly the size of the port effects the tuning. Basic theory being the smaller the port, the lower it's tuned. So for example mines tuned at 40Hz at the moment, so it plays better/louder at that frequency.
Depends what music you're into, i've gone for a happy medium, if not a little high. If you only listen to hip hop for example, you may wana drop the tuning to 33-35Hz.

Then if you wana get real technical you can brace the box for stability, use double layer birchwood ply for reduced flex, and flare your port for that extra 0.1 db lol

·
sideshow bob
9,834 Posts
looks like some nice kit, but how come the title of the amp says 1x800watts RMS @ 1ohm but the description says 1x800watts RMS @ 2 ohm??!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
According to the Alpine website - - -

• Per channel into 2 Ohms: (@ 14.4V ≤1%THD+N, 20Hz - 200Hz) 800W x 1
• Per channel into 4 Ohms: (@ 14.4V ≤1%THD+N, 20Hz - 200Hz) 500W x 1

So its not 1 ohm stable - obviously a typo.

Up until now, i've managed with a 2 x 12" Alpine subs running 150WRMS each so i'm hoping that just the one audiobahn sub will be equal to or even louder!!!! lol

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
You might find with a 12 it'll want anywhere between 2.5cu ft and 4cu ft. All depends on the sub and how much it likes to drop.
With 2 Immortal subs running at 600RMS each I get 137.4 DB (last time it was tested is now marginally louder) and they are 12" subs in >0.8 cu ft boxes....

·
sideshow bob
9,834 Posts
With 2 Immortal subs running at 600RMS each I get 137.4 DB (last time it was tested is now marginally louder) and they are 12" subs in >0.8 cu ft boxes....
bigger than 0.8? so what size?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts