MG ZR Forums banner

steering wheels and the law

456 views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  Light Sabre 
#1 ·
im looking to buy an aftermarket steering wheel but will my ZR fail its MOT if i buy one and my car doesnt have an airbag? as its a safety feature i thought it would be the law to ahve one fitted? please help!

#8 ·
so its not illegal then allan? i thought as it was a safety feature it would have to be there to be honest

#12 ·
to be honest u can jump the srs wiring that used to fit the old steering wheel with a small fuse to turn the light off.

i was also under the impression that the srs light being on is an mot fail.

nothin illegal about not having an airbag, just make sure u inform the insurance, as they may not cover the car if the airbag has been removed :)

#21 ·
Agree. Its like Catalytic converters. They only became law after a certain year (early 90's) so prior to that you didnt need one and still dont but if your car was built after the date then it has to have one by law.

Thats said SRS is not a system that is tested on an MOT so air bag or not, light on or not, it cant be failed as it is not a test item.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.