MG ZR Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a little pissed of with MG now!

I had had all sorts of problem with my car and mg can not fix them,

There is a grinding noise when I turn my steering wheel, now its been back to rover5 and they said o yeah that’s your Rotary Coupler, we will have to chance that, it turned out it was snapped in half, anyway mg chanced the part and its is still the same now they are saying it is normal for the Rotary Coupler to make a grinding noise on the MG ZR (mk1).

I don’t thing it is the Rotary Coupler myself, I think it could be the steering column rubbing on the indicator stick

:wallb:

Any Ideas? I know its hard not being able to hear it, but does anyone know if there has been any problems like this in the past?

·
Registered
414 Posts
rbh said:
I am a little pissed of with MG now!

I had had all sorts of problem with my car and mg can not fix them,

There is a grinding noise when I turn my steering wheel, now its been back to rover5 and they said o yeah that’s your Rotary Coupler, we will have to chance that, it turned out it was snapped in half, anyway mg chanced the part and its is still the same now they are saying it is normal for the Rotary Coupler to make a grinding noise on the MG ZR (mk1).

I don’t thing it is the Rotary Coupler myself, I think it could be the steering column rubbing on the indicator stick

:wallb:

My steering started makin an electric grinding noise and it turned out to be the pump running dry ! Check for leaks or any red fluid from your power steering resevoir and if it is louder when you turn full lock left or right !!!

Any Ideas? I know its hard not being able to hear it, but does anyone know if there has been any problems like this in the past?

G

·
Have to admit Rob not one that I have come across, and not one that I have heard anyone else complain about.

Does it do it across the full range both left and right?

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Well my Mk1 Zed doesn't make any noise when turning the steering.

Maybe you should run a poll to see if anyone elses on here does, it will at least give you some ammo to go back to the dealer with.

If writng letters of confirmation of same helps, I guess we would all be willing to put it in writing for you as well :up:

Hope you get it sorted.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DriveBy said:
Well my Mk1 Zed doesn't make any noise when turning the steering.

Maybe you should run a poll to see if anyone elses on here does, it will at least give you some ammo to go back to the dealer with.

If writng letters of confirmation of same helps, I guess we would all be willing to put it in writing for you as well :up:

Hope you get it sorted.
Yeah thanks very much!

Light Sabre said:
Have to admit Rob not one that I have come across, and not one that I have heard anyone else complain about.

Does it do it across the full range both left and right?
Its when the wheel is stright you put it around to the left 1/4 of the way then turnm it half way to the right, going past the center point to the right by 1/4.

The noise is a rubbing / gringing noise, sometimes it is louder then other times! :hurt:

·
Registered
414 Posts
My power steering made an electrical grinding sort of noise about a week before it dumped all the power steering fluid on the floor ! Look out for leaks and very light steering when on full lock !

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
checked fluid seams ok, this sound move of a rubbing noise but electrical noise

·
Registered
3 Posts
I get this problem aswell, has anybody got any ideas what it maybe, had my car for about three weeks and allready having this issue along with a coolant issue. my car is a 101 td (mk1) Hope someone can help me.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
This old thread is a bit vague can you give more details about when its happening, where the noise is coming from etc.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Basicly when i turn the wheel slightly to the left or right, i get a grinding noise coming from the wheel itself, this might sound silly, but i can also feel this 'grinding' come through the steering wheel.

·
Premium Member
31,429 Posts
Basicly when i turn the wheel slightly to the left or right, i get a grinding noise coming from the wheel itself, this might sound silly, but i can also feel this 'grinding' come through the steering wheel.
Brake pads cv joint or wheel bearing ?

·
Registered
7,532 Posts
I know this might be difficult, but does it feel or make the same noise when the engine is off? If the noise/feel is not there when the engine is off then it is probably your steering pump, if it is still there then you can eliminate that as a possible cause.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts