MG ZR Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else's steering feel really dodgy when on right full-lock?
Kind of juddery (as if the wheel's coming off).
Mine's done this since new ('02 Reg) - not sure if it's normal or not.

·
CheeseKitten
16,588 Posts
i heard somewhere that ur not supposed to full lock a wheel with powersteering, just keep short of a full lock my 3/4 of an inch or so...maybe that has something to do with this?

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
mine does it on full right lock....I noticed this on the test drive and asked the service manager about it and he said it was to do with the steering geometery...and cos the size of the tyres fitted.

·
Registered
556 Posts
You should NEVER use full lock, as stated above. The issue will be with the power steering trying to do it's bit, but bouncing back due to full lock.

DON'T DO IT!

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
mines doing it as well, silly works carpark need full lock to get around the dodgy bends, oh well, i guess ill take it wider :D

·
Registered
556 Posts
It's partly a problem with the crappy turning circle of the ZR due to it's modified steering rack to accomodate the wheels.

Other cars wouldn't be anywhere near full lock.

·
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I see, so it's not the end of the world then as I first suspected. That's one thing to strike off this list then....

·
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Good job I didn't in the end 'cos MG have diagnosed it as a KNACKERED POWER STEERING PUMP - new one's ordered under warranty now

·
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
....and fitted.

Ok for about 10 miles and now it's STILL doing it. God I get wound up with this car sometimes!

Gonna get 2 new tyres on the front and have my mate look at it at the same time.... if it's something simple I'm gonna give MG HELL!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Kevy D said:
....and fitted.

Ok for about 10 miles and now it's STILL doing it. God I get wound up with this car sometimes!

Gonna get 2 new tyres on the front and have my mate look at it at the same time.... if it's something simple I'm gonna give MG HELL!
Check under the near side wheel arch, you may find the tyre, when on full lock is rubbing ( like mine is ) on the front of the arch. it rubs on the outer side of the engin compartment near the front of the arch, had to underseal where the paint has rubbed off, check that mate, that could be your noise.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts