MG ZR Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Sorry i have not been around in a bit only juts got back from hoilday.

Ok so my car has been in to mg once again for the tracking to be done, because it was pulling to the left and the steering wheel was not in line!

Well the steering whell is now straght but its still pulling to the left :hurt:. I have the 4*4 laser Measurements and Adjectments work sheet and says the Front Left "CASTER" is out, now the guy at MG told me this is a common fault and the caster can not be adjusted is this true?

If you want to see the full results i am sure i can get a picture of it and post it, i dont have a scanner but i have a digital camera :p!

Thanks
Robert

·
Registered
134 Posts
funny you should mention this - I sorted an MGF out for my girlfriend last year. Took it out for a test drive and it was fine. 3 weeks after picking it up, it started pulling to the left. Took it back to MG 4 times in 4 weeks to have it looked at. They sent it back to us "repaired" 4 times, and each time the problem had got progressively worse :x: . In the end we refused to accept it and got a (hard earned) discount on a Zed....... :up:

Maybe this is a common fault with MG's? My Zed has already had its tracking checked in the 6 months i have owned it. :wallb:

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the main question is can this caster be adjusted,

BTW i have no idea on what i am on about, just the guy told me it could not be corrected, :x:

Its the only thing in red on the paperwork! :wallb: :wallb:

Bloody ZR :hurt:

·
Registered
242 Posts
Castor is the king pin inclination, in other words the amount the the suspension struts lean (towards the rear of the car). It affects the self centring tendancies of the steering (more castor = greater self centring effects, as a rule).
Castor cannot be adjusted on a ZR with standard suspension, as the strut can only bolt to the shell in one position, I'm not sure if the Leda ones offer adjustability or not. Unless the castor is well out on one side it wont really be noticable, certainly tire pressure and road camber (which will make your car pull to the left) make much more noticable differences. Hope this helps.

G

·
Withe leda suspension they offder a 'wedge' to change the castor angles.

The company that did my tracvking yesterday initially refused to do it because it was lowered until I had got the 'new' figures for castor, toe-in, toe-out, caber etc.

Phoned AVO and thier recommendation was to set the suspension and steering geometry to manufactureres standard. This they have now done and it is perfect.

Mine sometimes pulls to one side or the other under braking, but this normally only appears to do it at traffic lights and in particular the same one round me. I think it is probably down to the mess on the road from other cars and trucks that have altered the grip on the road at those places. Camber of the road can have a big influence too as are the white lines (ask any biker)

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
MG Man said:
Castor is the king pin inclination, in other words the amount the the suspension struts lean (towards the rear of the car). It affects the self centring tendancies of the steering (more castor = greater self centring effects, as a rule).
Castor cannot be adjusted on a ZR with standard suspension, as the strut can only bolt to the shell in one position, I'm not sure if the Leda ones offer adjustability or not. Unless the castor is well out on one side it wont really be noticable, certainly tire pressure and road camber (which will make your car pull to the left) make much more noticable differences. Hope this helps.
:hurt: :blink2:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts