MG ZR Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aaaaarrrrrrrrrrgh, just spent $800 (that's over 450 of your English pounds) getting the waterpump fixed (bad leak through the spindle) on my 05 ZR160 & a week later it's thrown a new issue. When starting from cold the engine fires then immediately stalls. Yesterday did this 3 times in succession, I then pressed the unlock immobiliser button again in case that was causing the problem, tried again - same. Eventually got it going by giving a bit of throttle whilst starter turning & holding onto the revs. Same thing this morning with the same remedy ultimately working. Odd thing is, once it's going there doesn't seem to be any issue - idles quite happily, no misfires or anything.

Also doesn't happen with hot starting, yesterday did 60kM, stopped for fuel & it went first turn of the key afterwards.

Anyone got any bright ideas what to look for?

Thanks,

Rob

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Not too sure, to be honest, but if the problem manifested itself straight after the water pump replacement, I would think it might be worth checking that the cam belt timing has been set up correctly (the main cam belt will have had to come off to get at the water pump).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks M.I.C.
It was running OK immediately after waterpump fixed (for about 1 week). Since last post I have removed all the fuses in the engine fusebox & squirted contact cleaner into terminals - reassembled & (touch wood) it's started first go every time since then. We'll wait & see.
Regards, Rob

1 - 3 of 3 Posts