MG ZR Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alreet,

wonder if someone could help ... Lately when getting in me car and turning the key the engine doesnt seem to turn over ... a few times ive had to get out and wack the starter moter with a screw driver...

its either that or put the car in second and try starting it with the clutch up. what i want to know is is there any way of fixing this or will i have to buy a new one. and if i do buy a new one how much will it cost ??

Cheers

G

·
Where the starter motor is situated is crap as it gets all sorts of road crap thrown at it. Might be that the LT connection is slightly corroded. If you look down at it, there is a fairly large spade connector with a rubber cover over it. Pull this off (carefully as if I remember it is permanantly live.). Give the spade a good clean with a bit of emery paper or some such and the same with the female connection and then reconnect. A little petroleum (or silicon) grease smeared around the area will help reduce any future corrosion.

If this doesnt do it and you are certain it is the starter motor then you may be able to get a recon one from a motorfactors, or try a scrappies. I have got one sitting in my garage at the moment as I got it when I had my starting problems. Turned out in the end to be the tranducer in the ign barrel.

·
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well a couple of days ago the above happened and i got one of me mates to hold the key all the way round when i wacked the starter moter ... as soon as i touched it it popped to life ??

but cheers for the info ill try those connections

G

·
OK, quick lesson

If you were to have your starter motor permanantly engaged, then you would have problems initially overcoming the inertia of the engine and then, after the engine has fired, it would become a dynamo and be spun at such RPM it would probably disintergrate

To stop this, there is a device called a bendix which has a gear on the end of a long spiral thread. As you put power into the starterand it begins to turn, centrifugal force causes this gear to get flung along the thread until it engages with the ring gear on the flywheel and begins to turn the engine.

When you turn the power off to the engine, the gear is thrown out and a spring then returns it to the star position. If you stupidly keep the key at start after the engine has started the incresed RPM of the engine will do the same thing and disengage the gear as well.

Sometimes this mechanism (a bendix) gets stuck and the gear is at full travel (but not engaged). When you go to start the motor, nothing happens (some motors have a plunger that only allows the power to it if the bendix is in the start position). The old trick of rocking a car in gear is one way to free a stuck bendix. If the motor only starts after twatting with a hammer or some such could be indicative as well of worn/dirty commutator brushes.

Dunno if that has made it any clearer?

·
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
eye thats more like it cheers for explaining ...

so whats the cure take it to a garage and get a expert to have a look lol

G

·
Depends how much money you want to spend?

If you know someone with a 25/200/ZR that wont mind you 'borrowing' thier starter motor to see if the fault transfers then that is one option. Should be able to get a decent one from a scrappies for £20-25 is another option.

Try as I said cleaning the connections (also check the battery terminals are good and tight as wella nd not corroded and that all the earth straps art tight and free from corrosion as well)

·
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well my battery connections are spot on I only checked them about a week ago.

Ill try cleaning the connections etc and if it doesnt cure it ill raid a scrappies.

Cheers for the help.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts