MG ZR Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm so psyched...just finished fitting my start switch...worked first time!

:mml:

Here's a pic (left of hazard):-

Thanks to ThumpJunkie for his guide.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
why use a start switch? not diggin by the way i jsut wondering what the use is! bit thick ai i lol
I look at it this way, why not...? There is no function to it whatsoever (except perhaps to bypass a faulty contact mechanism in the key cylinder), I saw the guide and went for it, cost me about a fiver and a bit of time. Beauty part is it can all be reversed if I grow up.

:cool:

·
Registered
7,532 Posts
so hows it work? as long as you have fob in your car ie on your person, you can press the button and it starts?
To do that you would either need to have the ignition on permanently (not a good idea) or somehow have some sort of transmitter that can put the ignition on when you get in the car or maybe puts it on when you unlock the car (possible to do) and you would also need to remove the steering lock mechanism as well.

Most people, and the guides, all still use the ignition to initiate the start in as much as you put the key in the ignition, turn it to position 2 and then press the start button.

It is a completely pointless mod but a popular one as a lot of cars have a remote start as standard. Where it can be beneficial though is where the contacts in the ignition switch have packed up as already pointed out. I have had 2 switches changed on mine now and they are not the easiest or cheapest things to change because of the shear bolts. A much cheaper and easier option if your contacts go is to fit a remote start. If done correctly it does not compromise security and is a lot cheaper than a new ignition barrel plus it can look cool as well.

·
Premium Member
28,417 Posts
I look at it this way, why not...? There is no function to it whatsoever (except perhaps to bypass a faulty contact mechanism in the key cylinder), I saw the guide and went for it, cost me about a fiver and a bit of time. Beauty part is it can all be reversed if I grow up.

:cool:
Exactly, it's just a bit of fun, and after all, isn't that what modification is all about? ;)

As per PM, looks ace mate :D

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
hmmm got me thinking now! im gonna look into gettin this sorted so when the fob is in the car you are able to start it without using the key, my mrs moms fella is abit of a whizz when it comes to this sort of thing, gonna give him a shout see what he thinks

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hmmm got me thinking now! im gonna look into gettin this sorted so when the fob is in the car you are able to start it without using the key, my mrs moms fella is abit of a whizz when it comes to this sort of thing, gonna give him a shout see what he thinks
Recipe for theft if you ask me dude...unless you have some gizmo or other that *knows it is you*....

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Recipe for theft if you ask me dude...unless you have some gizmo or other that *knows it is you*....
yea thats what i mean! i want it to know that the fob is in the car! the imobiliser already knows that so it should be too hard to sort. if your fob is not with your keys your car wont start so surly its possible to use that to switch the ignition on with some sort of tranmitter like LS said

·
IN for Mod hate!
25,170 Posts
To do that you would either need to have the ignition on permanently (not a good idea) or somehow have some sort of transmitter that can put the ignition on when you get in the car or maybe puts it on when you unlock the car (possible to do) and you would also need to remove the steering lock mechanism as well.

Most people, and the guides, all still use the ignition to initiate the start in as much as you put the key in the ignition, turn it to position 2 and then press the start button.

It is a completely pointless mod but a popular one as a lot of cars have a remote start as standard. Where it can be beneficial though is where the contacts in the ignition switch have packed up as already pointed out. I have had 2 switches changed on mine now and they are not the easiest or cheapest things to change because of the shear bolts. A much cheaper and easier option if your contacts go is to fit a remote start. If done correctly it does not compromise security and is a lot cheaper than a new ignition barrel plus it can look cool as well.
Is that how the remote starts work... I'd of had one on the zed, but knew it would mean bypassing the immobiliser

You might as well spend the £100 and get a remote start kit

·
Registered
7,532 Posts
A remote start as you get with some aftermarket alarms does in fact by-pass the standard OE immobilser, but IIRC it then introduces its own immobiliser system which is disabled by the disarm system from the remote start.

To try and retain the OE immobilser and use that to instigate the ignition system is a long shot and as this is all controlled by the alarm MFU it isnt going to be easy. Even then you are still not going to have complete key less operation as there is still the steering lock to overcome unless you are going to do away with this security feature as well?

·
IN for Mod hate!
25,170 Posts
well the one i was looking at just started the engine for you(well you could remote start and stop, or a 3rd button to run the engine for a preset time) but as soon as you tried to drive off it cut the engine out, and to drive you would need to insert the key and turn to position 2 IIRC.. then the car would allow you to drive it..

·
Registered
7,532 Posts
well the one i was looking at just started the engine for you(well you could remote start and stop, or a 3rd button to run the engine for a preset time) but as soon as you tried to drive off it cut the engine out, and to drive you would need to insert the key and turn to position 2 IIRC.. then the car would allow you to drive it..
Ideal, but the OE immobiliser would still need to be by-passed otherwise the engine could not be started, so I am assuming that another version of the same thing must be incorporated or this security feature is just removed in which case it is a bit of a no-brainer to lose more security. Personally I cant see the attraction of a remote start although some people argue that it is to warm the car and the interior up on cold days (I just wear a warm coat). I am not certain but I seem to recall as well that it is illegal to leave a car running unattended?

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Rightho, have re-engineered my start button for three reasons:

First, I used a blank to seat the switch in, but scratched the carp out of the face of the blank and it ended up looking grey and a bit pants close-up.

Second, while messing about with my speedo bulbs (been to blue LED and back) I decided I could have run the wires in a much more efficient fashion than I di, and

Finally, I blew the bulb (rated 2.2v) when I connected things up the first time.

Comic aside was this - I contacted Maplins to ask whether it was possible to replace the bulb in the switch (one of these in blue) and - about a week later - some t!t emailed me back to say it could not be done. I say "some t!t" because the answer was blunt enough to make me determined enough to prove they simply didn't know their asses from their elbows...so I did. Took the switch apart and fitted a new LED (I just happen to have about 30 lying about) with a resistor this time. One test with an ordinary 9v battery later and it's "up yours Mr. Maplins"...

Anyhoo, re-worked a second blank to fit the switch, re-fitted all the connections and tidied it all up behind the speedo.

Works an absolute treat! Only thing now is I think I can perform eye surgery on passing pedestrians with that LED, it's so bright... [pic to follow].

So...any ideas on what it might be possible to use to damp or otherwise shade the inside of the switch? The face comes off so it's just a question of what.

·
Registered
8,474 Posts
i think thats the same as mine mate, fecking bright isnt it, i just put up with mine though, it gives me a nice blue glow, lol

on a different note, did you leaves ur connected so that u can still use the key if u want? i didnt, i chopped the earth to force myself not to let the novelty wear off, so i have to use the button, lol

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.