MG ZR Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
LU HG
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i was out on a drive and came to the point where i had to check and adjust my speed for a camera, but when i look down the needle is on 8 mph! Basically its just not working. I have no idea why, and thats why I'm aksing here.

I recently installed a new headunit and maybe i could of pulled something out?? where should i check to see if a connection isn't connected?? looked in the Haynes but yet again no bloody use.

The car is under warranty, but if i can do it myself i'll not have the inconvenience of having to book in to have it done and lose my car for a day.

cheers
mitch

·
Registered
142 Posts
not really an answer this, but im curious as to this, my honda used to do this to when driven for a bit, when you say out 4 a drive?u mean as in nailing it?or just taking it easy?i cant really help, like i said im just curious as whether anyone can explain it, as it used to happen to me allll the time, bit worrying trying to go through speed cameras doing apparently 3mph!!!

·
LU HG
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
tried nailing it, but nothing, no response, rev counter and everything else works, just not the speedo.

·
Registered
142 Posts
well when it happened to me, i used to just switch the engine off...give it five mins, and everything was fine after that. dunno if that'll help, probably not!!but it was after heavy driving, and there was always a warm, burning smell with it, use to make me think that maybe somethings got a lil to excited under the bonnet and let go, dont wanna get in2 technicalites as i havent got a clue beyond the basics, but the switching off technique always worked for me!! :up: :up:

·
Registered
890 Posts
sounds like its not getting a signal from the gearbox. Best look in the engine bay to see if the connector has falled on of the gearbox, or the wires have been exposed.
Steve

·
Registered
108 Posts
This is spooky.

Today I took the M61 to Manchester and at 75mph I just glanced down to see the speedo drop quickly to around 40 for about 2 secs, then it went back up again. Happened again 1 minute later.

Spooky. I put it down to something loose, but I'll be watching it.

·
LU HG
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i'm gonna check the back of the clocks today, cause i think its connected to the gearbox properly. Maybe i've tugged the connector out somewhere, but its strange that is only the speedo that doesn't work.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
When I got my rover the mechanic who checked it pulled the wires out from the speedo in the gearbox. All it will need is a new sensor as they are prone to get knackered, ten minute job and it costs about £2

·
LU HG
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well gonna phone up the dealer tomorrow to get it in on wednesday. I've had a good look round behind the clocks and its definately connected at both ends as far as i know. Inconvenient to say the least. Gotta drive around now guessing my speed off other cars and my rev counter! not good when driving through speed cameras alone or going past pigs!

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
The sensor is in a stupid place on the gearbox and wasn't weather proffed properly so liable to brake. It happened on my dad's previous rover

1 - 12 of 12 Posts