MG ZR Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
right i p/x a car for my mates honda integra.
now the problem is i just recieved a fine in the post today for doin 38mph in a 30 zone.

the offence was for last wednsday and i sent the log book off this monday just gone.
but on the log book the transaction date is for like 3 weeks ago witch would show i was no longer the owner and driver of that car.
so am i in the clear as i sent the log book after the offence but the log book proves the car was no longer mine before the offence.

·
SRS Xmas Pants On!
11,286 Posts
Were you actually driving the car on the day? thats the point. Just because you sold the car doesn't mean you are absolved of any fines and points. The only reason the fine has been traced back to you via the car is because you were the last registered owner, even if the logbook has come back now, the fine could have taken upto 2 weeks to process, if at the time of the offence, you were still registered as the vehicle owner, you'll get the fine.

If you were the one driving then be a man and accept the consequences.

If not, you'll have to get onto the police and explain the car was sold prior to the event and you did not have access to the vehicle at the time of the offence. In this case you will have to give the details of the person you sold the car to otherwise you will be responsible for the points and fine. This is why the seller now sends off the vehicle sends off the V5 and not the buyer. The seller is responsible for it until the car is transferred.

·
Dirty user
31,429 Posts
Were you actually driving the car on the day? thats the point. Just because you sold the car doesn't mean you are absolved of any fines and points. The only reason the fine has been traced back to you via the car is because you were the last registered owner, even if the logbook has come back now, the fine could have taken upto 2 weeks to process, if at the time of the offence, you were still registered as the vehicle owner, you'll get the fine.

If you were the one driving then be a man and accept the consequences.

If not, you'll have to get onto the police and explain the car was sold prior to the event and you did not have access to the vehicle at the time of the offence. In this case you will have to give the details of the person you sold the car to otherwise you will be responsible for the points and fine. This is why the seller now sends off the vehicle sends off the V5 and not the buyer. The seller is responsible for it until the car is transferred.
+ 1

·
Banned
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no i was not driving the car i was at home in bed during the time of the speeding offence but i know there is no way to prove i was not driving but also they can not prove i was driving.

but if the log book shows a new owner weeks before the offence and i am the owner of a completley diffrent car then surly i should be safe.
otherwise they could just send fines out to everyone who has just sold a car.

·
Fake Bans FTW!!!
1,482 Posts

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Like said.. you will have to grass your mate up though. They need proof :)

·
Dirty user
31,429 Posts
How long after the offence did you send log book off ? and was the date of sale showing for prior to the offence.

·
Registered
7,532 Posts
Ask for photographic evidence of the speeding offence.
Will need to go to court and plead not guilty to the offence to get this. They wont supply it just because you ask.

If you really are not the driver then you either need to supply details of the person you sold it to including dates and any receipts to prove the sale and/or take it to court and plead not guilty with all your evidence which should be supported by the DVLA withe the V5 dates that you sent it off.

·
Registered
7,532 Posts
On the speeding fine notification to prosecute, they now print a disclaimer to the effect that all the speeding cameras in use have been claibrated and that you will need to go to court to challenge this.

·
2,039 Posts
Unless you sent the bit on the V5 to the DVLA saying you are no longer the registered keeper then YOU could be liable for any speeding fines, parking tickets, out of date tax etc,

Send it off and appeal against the fine...........if you can prove you wern't the registered keeper at the time of the offence then you should be in the clear...........unfortunately being in bed isn't an excuse :)

·
Car gone. :(
2,120 Posts
I think you will be ok, you just need to supply the proof to the police that you were not the driver/owner of the car.

The key point here is, to fill out the v5c and send it off immediately, as its says on the v5c. Waiting 3 weeks to send off this form is just asking for trouble like this.

·
SRS Xmas Pants On!
11,286 Posts
right i p/x a car for my mates honda integra.
now the problem is i just recieved a fine in the post today for doin 38mph in a 30 zone.

the offence was for last wednsday and i sent the log book off this monday just gone.
but on the log book the transaction date is for like 3 weeks ago witch would show i was no longer the owner and driver of that car.
so am i in the clear as i sent the log book after the offence but the log book proves the car was no longer mine before the offence.
You've admitted that the offence happened before you sent off the V5, as far as the Police and the DVLA will be concerned, you are responsible.

no i was not driving the car i was at home in bed during the time of the speeding offence but i know there is no way to prove i was not driving but also they can not prove i was driving.

but if the log book shows a new owner weeks before the offence and i am the owner of a completley diffrent car then surly i should be safe.
otherwise they could just send fines out to everyone who has just sold a car.
They don't have to prove anything, at the time of the offence the vehicle was registered to you, so its your responsibility. If someone else was driving it is also your responsibility to inform the Police of who was driving at the time of the offence ie. who you sold the car to.

The new rules regarding the V5 document were put in place for this very reason and in your case you don't have a good excuse as you didn't send off the V5 until weeks after selling the car, as far as the law is concerned, you are at fault. Sounds harsh but that is the reality of it.

As already said, you will have to contest it and possibly go to court to argue your point.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts