MG ZR Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why are componant speakers better than the rest of them?

Basically i'm thinking of changing my speakers but just want to know if there is any reason why the front speakers need to be componants. Don't get me wrong i've always upgraded and kept componants but just wondered if it made any real difference to the sound when coaxials are fine for the back.

Any replies are welcome.

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
The Zr comes with components as standard so you would want to replace both speaker and tweeter together to get the best sound quality other wise you will end up blowing your stock tweeters most likely.

Get them amped aswel ;)

·
Registered
6,568 Posts
rockford fosgate FTW cant wait till ive saved up enough to get a set of comps amped up and a custom build in my boot :D

·
Registered
8,062 Posts
Coaxials play all the sound through one speaker.
Components play the high frequencies through the tweeter and the mid and low frequencies through the larger speaker.

thus resulting in better sound quality.

·
Registered
18,670 Posts
components

pros - Components allow you to position the drivers separately and more carefully, which will give you greater control over imaging. Try to keep the mid and tweeter as close together as possible - this will make the two drivers sound more like a single speaker, and preferably in the same plane (pointing in the same direction). If your standard speaker locations are very low down in the car you can place the tweeters higher up to lift the sound stage.

cons - Components require more work to install as you will have to mount the tweeters separately, and most component kits also have separate crossovers. There is often very limited space to locate the crossovers and they require far more wiring. Components also require more power to drive them as there are 2 pairs of drivers and the crossovers also soak up quite a bit of power. Therefore to get the best results you will need to add an external amplifier.

coaxials pros - Coaxials are much simpler to install, usually just a case of removing the original speaker and screwing the new one in it's place. The two drivers are in exactly the same place therefore not separating the sound source. Coaxials are perfect for rear speakers as imaging is not so important. A high power head-unit normally provides enough power to adequately drive a pair of coaxials, therefore no separate amplifier is necessary.

cons - Tweeters cannot be moved therefore the imaging is restricted by the location, if the speaker location is low in the front door (as most cars are) the sound stage will be fairly low - We have not yet come across anybody with ears in their feet!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If i had coaxials in the front with built in tweeters would the original tweeters then no longer work or would the sound simply be split betweent them?

·
Registered
18,670 Posts
If i had coaxials in the front with built in tweeters would the original tweeters then no longer work or would the sound simply be split betweent them?
the standard tweeter would still work as it has separate wires going to it
so if you opt for coaxials, its its a straight swap wiring wise

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
AWESOME !! That means that i won't have to spend £60 on componants and can get some cheaper coaxials for like £30

thanks a lot to everyone who posted, you've answered my questions

·
Registered
18,670 Posts
AWESOME !! That means that i won't have to spend £60 on componants and can get some cheaper coaxials for like £30

thanks a lot to everyone who posted, you've answered my questions
just check if you actually have tweeters, some cars came with blanks meaning they just filled the gap in the doorcard

·
Registered
268 Posts
Why are componant speakers better than the rest of them?

Basically i'm thinking of changing my speakers but just want to know if there is any reason why the front speakers need to be componants. Don't get me wrong i've always upgraded and kept componants but just wondered if it made any real difference to the sound when coaxials are fine for the back.

Any replies are welcome.

i have a set of vibe components at the front and really i cant tell a difference from them and coaxials. and the crossovers dont seem to do anything

·
Registered
18,670 Posts
i have a set of vibe components at the front and really i cant tell a difference from them and coaxials. and the crossovers dont seem to do anything
if you amp them and deaden the doors u will notice a massive difference
as Jay mentioned the x-overs jsut filter what frequency should be sent to the tweeter and what should be sent to the speaker.
the vibes have a hight RMS rating...your headunit will not be providing it with the amount of pwoer it needs to get the best out of the speakers

1 - 16 of 16 Posts