MG ZR Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
R6 Owner
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noticed on a lot of these thread there is a lot of talk about Dynamat etc.

This is me trying to be helpful lol

Does anyone know of anything cheaper which can be used as a sound deadener?

·
Registered
7,532 Posts
I dunno, something thick, heavy, and inert should do the job ( a couple of students would probably fulfill that criteria.....sorry just come off the General Thread about students :twisted: )

To be honest, it would need to be pretty dense and heavy to dampen the resonance that normaly causes the vibrations. I thought about foam rubber but it probably isnt dense enough to stop the resonance. It would need to be pretty flexible too so that it can be moulded into shapes and corners.

Will have to have a look round some of the larger DIY stores as there might be something similar that could work as well.

Good point though Maddsy :-k

·
R6 Owner
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just thought we might be able to save someone a few quid

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have heard that you can get some of this stuff from a builder merchant ( Platform) The sell a large roll (more than you will need) for a fraction of the price. You cut it to fit, and heat with a blow torch. Will try to find out name. Will be giving it ago myself at some point.

·
Registered
44 Posts
most people use flashing tape,as its the same sort of stuff as dynmayt only thinner ,most peeps use multiple layers on thier doors and boots,screwfix is the cheapest place to get it,you can also buy a proper sound deadner from another site but i not sure if i allowed to put links up ,if i can let me know and i will,lol

·
Registered
49 Posts
just thinking about this - I'm replacing the speakers in my doors and with the original ones the door panels vibrate.

I went into my loft and found all the yellow padding built up in a corner - thought - would this be OK to stuff the door panels with?!?!?

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
go to a bodyshop and get some sound deadening pads from there.....there are about 9"x18" and only a few £.....
thats what ive used..... :wink:
as for in the boot....ive used expanding foam ..put over the wheel arch area....

·
Registered
7,532 Posts
I think you will find that polystyrene (I am guessing you mean the stuff like celing panels) and fibreglass loft insulation are fine for insulating against temperature, but wont be too god at sound deadening. You need something quite heavy/dense to stop the resonance and vibrations which neither of these are.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
what bout the sound deadening stuff they use in PC cases ? acousitc stuff, cant think of the name, would that have any effect ?

·
1,626 Posts
Brown Bread! Cheaper than Dynamt and better as well!

Rubber sheets would do as well but they would be just as expensive!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts