MG ZR Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive got a question 4 u guys.

has anyone noticed if there zr smokes alot when cold, cos mine does or is this a problem with the car. ive only had mine bout a month so im not really sure.

·
RIP ZR
15,287 Posts
yeah i get the same but it goes after a while

·
Registered
48 Posts
its just condensation really, as the zr has 2 cats, an cats create lots of water, thats what i was told off a guys at my dealership its nowt to worry about mate

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thats ok then. didn't really notice myself, my mate was followin me and said the my car was smokin very bad.

G

·
Nothing to do with the cat as such. Petrol is a Hydrocarbon. One of the results of combustion is that petrol is converted into carbon dioxide, Carbon Monoxide and H2O (water). As it is hot, the water leaves the exhaust as a gas where on meeting the cold air, it shows up as steam. Sometimes on a cold day, you may even see a trickle of water out of the exhaust as the steam condenses on the inside of the cold exhaust. This is why cars which only ever do little journeys tend to have their exhasts fail quicker than those used for longer journeys. The exhaust never gets a chance to heat up properly and drive off the water/vapour that has collected, so this water combines with the other chemicals and becomes acidic which eats your exhaust from the inside out.

One of the reasons your exhaust is only covered for a year from new and not 3 years.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Ah, that explains it then. Mine does it as well dudes.

I only really became aware of it though, after fitting my Blueflame Zorst with its larger tailpipe. :wallb:

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Light Sabre said:
Nothing to do with the cat as such. Petrol is a Hydrocarbon. One of the results of combustion is that petrol is converted into carbon dioxide, Carbon Monoxide and H2O (water). As it is hot, the water leaves the exhaust as a gas where on meeting the cold air, it shows up as steam. Sometimes on a cold day, you may even see a trickle of water out of the exhaust as the steam condenses on the inside of the cold exhaust. This is why cars which only ever do little journeys tend to have their exhasts fail quicker than those used for longer journeys. The exhaust never gets a chance to heat up properly and drive off the water/vapour that has collected, so this water combines with the other chemicals and becomes acidic which eats your exhaust from the inside out.

One of the reasons your exhaust is only covered for a year from new and not 3 years.
That is exactly what happened to my old back box. I am gonna have to do some long runs on the new box just to keep it in good health. Good excuse for a trip to the seaside for some ice cream, candy floss and chips.

·
LU HG
3,487 Posts
Jazzy ZR said:
Yeah it's steam produced from condensation sitting in ya zorst! notinging to worry about, unless its black/dark grey!
i have this problem with my old mk3 fiesta, i guess its buggered then!!! or maybe its just down to not running it very often at all?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts