MG ZR Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has happened a couple of times now 9 times out of 10 it starts fine but sometimes u turn the key and its really slow getting started
Does that make sense?

And still got this knocking
Only notice it when you are going slow like round car parks its knocking through the wheel and pedals
Had the balancing done could it be tracking or what can i do to see if its exhaust/gearbox?

·
Premium Member
3,616 Posts
It has happened a couple of times now 9 times out of 10 it starts fine but sometimes u turn the key and its really slow getting started
Does that make sense?

And still got this knocking
Only notice it when you are going slow like round car parks its knocking through the wheel and pedals
Had the balancing done could it be tracking or what can i do to see if its exhaust/gearbox?
Does it crank ok or seem slow at cranking?

OE batteries are quite poor and stop holding charge quite often, i would be checking battery, earth strap and starter motor. but like i say, more info on the fault is needed.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm ok well it did it last night on way back home, stopped at services when got back in car it started but was slow.
I had been driving for about 20mins by then and only a couple of hrs before done 47miles on motorway.

·
Premium Member
3,616 Posts
Hmm ok well it did it last night on way back home, stopped at services when got back in car it started but was slow.
I had been driving for about 20mins by then and only a couple of hrs before done 47miles on motorway.
what do you mean by started slow? was it cranking really quickly but didn't want to start? or cranking slowly but eventually frired.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It was all in one turn of the key kinda didnt have as much power as normal and once it started was running really low revs for few secs.

Its hard to decribe in words lol!

·
IN for Mod hate!
25,170 Posts
si it only misfires when cold?
nah she can start it, it struggles to keep the rev above 1000 at idle, she can put her foot to the floor and it will stutter upto bout 2krpm, and then slowly creep up to bout 3k but wont go any higher and then if she drives at a random time the power will just come back...

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
mines not that bad, but sometimes if im sat in traffic and having a play with the car next to me ill be reving a little bit go to pull away and it will die is that a simialer problem?

·
Premium Member
3,616 Posts
possibly a stepper motor fault, try removing at and cleaning it out with some break cleaner, then a small squirt of wd before refitting.

·
IN for Mod hate!
25,170 Posts
would prob neet to see it then mate n get it on the t4 to see what the ecu is seein from the sensors etc.
think she has had that done too ade, can up with 2 codes the guy had never seen before and weren't even related to the MG lol...#

not spoken to her for a bit so not sure how it is :S

·
Premium Member
3,616 Posts
let me know the codes if you can

also, it's not all about the fault codes, you can check what values the ecu is seeing, and they might not give a fault code if within the acceptable parameter values.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts