MG ZR Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right I'm gonna stick an amp in my girlfriend's car. Obviously gotta disconnect the battery to do this.

what's gonna happen when I reconnect it? Does anything need done as regards the alarm or immobiliser?

Stupid question, but I've never had cause to disconnect a battery before and I'd really rather know in advance what to expect rather than look like a dick if I start annoying the neighbours with something like an alarm I can't get turned off.

:up:

G

·
Sorry if this sounds like teaching someone to suck eggs, but also remeber that you should disconnect the negative terminal first before the positive and the reverse when fitting, ie connect the positive first and the negative last. The reason being that if you touch something with the spanner when disconnecting the negative, then there is no problem, but if you do the same with the positive (and the neg is still connected) then you will short it out. Nice big shower of sparks which if there is any fuel about could cause problems (also a by product of the battery vent is hydrogen which when mixed with air can cause some pretty dramatic explosions).

After reconnecting your battery you will certainly have to reset the clock and depending on your head unit, then also a lot of the functions/radio station may need resetting (maybe even the code depending on model/type so make sure you know what it is). Occassionally the remote locking may play up, but just hit the button several times in quick succession, and they should resync.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
ok, this is what happened when i reconnected mine.

Bonnet open, +ve terminal connected. I put the -ve terminal on and all is well for about 4 seconds when the alarm goes off and scares the crap out of me causing me to jump and pull the -ve terminal back off the battery.

So I got my keyfob and had it ready in hand. I reconnected the -ve and the alarm went off again. I pressed the unlock button on the fob a few times and the alarm switched off.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts